We all know that Thanksgiving Side Dishes take the cake when it comes to the big thanksgiving meal. It’s definitely something we personally prioritize, so we wanted to dedicate a post to our favorite side dishes from the classics like stuffings, vegetables, potatoes dishes, and much more!
Table of contents
- Our Favorite Stuffing Recipes
- Delicious Potato Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Corn Recipes You Will Love!
- All the Vegetable Thanksgiving Side Dishes You Could Want
- Mac and Cheese, Please!
- Bread and Biscuits as Thanksgiving Side Dishes? Absolutely!
Our Favorite Stuffing Recipes
Stuffing is one of our absolute favorite thanksgiving side dishes and we picked a handful of recipes that we’ve made for years and years that will complete your Thanksgiving dinner!
- Our Mushroom and Sage Stuffing is not only very easy to make, but it’s SO tasty! The mushrooms give a nice umami flavor to the stuffing and pairs so well with the super fragrant sage leaves!
- We love our Butternut Squash, Andouille and Herb Stuffing. The soft butternut squash is a nice addition to the cubes of soft and toasty bread along with the salty andouille. Yum!
- Our Fig Herb and Sausage Stuffing is actually my favorite stuffing ever. It’s a super savory stuffing with just bits of sweet touches from the figs and is to die for! Even if I make another stuffing, this is a thanksgiving side dish I can not live without!
- This Apple and Fennel Stuffing is simple, a little different and packs a flavor punch! We love the subtle bits of anise flavor from the fennel and the sweet bits of apple.
- The very first stuffing we put on the blog was this Sausage and Sage Stuffing with Dried Cranberries and Hazelnuts! Not only are all the flavors delicious together, but we love the bits of crunchy texture from the hazelnuts!
Delicious Potato Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Carbs (especially potatoes) are our love language. How can you even take a bite of turkey with out some kind of potato also on your fork?! They’re super versatile and make some of the best thanksgiving side dishes! From mashed potatoes, to au gratin style, in a casserole, the options with potatoes are endless!
Russet or Golden Potato Side Dishes
- Our Heavenly Mashed Potatoes is a family recipe that incorporates whipped cottage cheese for an extra creamy side dish! It might sound odd to stir cottage cheese into creamy mashed potatoes, but we promise it only makes mashed potatoes that much better! Since we also love a hint of garlic in our potatoes we simmer some minced cloves into the butter and cream mixture for a subtle but delicious garlic mashed potatoes!
- Cheesy Potatoes Gratin are hard to beat! They’re so creamy, cheesy (with two kinds – parmesan cheese and cheddar) and delicious and never ever disappoint! This is the potato gratin recipe you’ve been looking for!
- Mini Hasselback Potatoes might seem like a hassle to make, but we promise they’re really not hard to make at all! Plus, you are rewarded with buttery, cheesy, crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside potatoes that you can just pop into your mouth!
- Our version of funeral potatoes is this Cheesy Potato Casserole. It’s a decadent dish that we absolutely love and the best part is that the dish is topped off with crunchy potato chips! How delicious is that?!
- If you’re trying to sneak more greens on your thanksgiving table this year, we highly recommend our Brown Butter Colcannon. It’s one of our favorite ways to make mashed potatoes! Not only do you get to load up creamy potatoes with a bunch of kale, but the brown butter really tastes this dish over the top in the best way possible!
- Looking for a thanksgiving side dish that’s slightly unique that everyone with love?? Our Chicken Fried Potatoes are just for you! Thin slices of potato dredged and fried up in the style of fried chicken. Doesn’t get much better than that!
Sweet Potato Side Dishes
- We really love sweet potatoes and knew our Sweet Potato and Rosemary Au Gratin needed to happen and it totally hits the spot! The sweet potatoes paired with the super fragrant rosemary is one of our favorite autumnal flavor combinations ever! One of our favorite Thanksgiving dish recipes.
- We love this super colorful Purple Mashed Sweet Potatoes side dish! Not only is the color super vibrant and fun, but it’s also super tasty!
- We love twice baked potatoes and our Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are a fun version that is slightly sweet, savory and soooo good! It’s like eating roasted sweet potatoes and sweet potato casserole all in one single serving dish.
- Our Cheesy Sweet Potato Fritters is another dish that should definitely make its way onto your table this year. These crispy fritters are super snackable, so you can also serve them up as a fun appetizer for really any get together!
Corn Recipes You Will Love!
We LOVE corn and believe it’s not just for summer! If fresh corn isn’t in season we happily grab a can or bag of frozen kernels to satisfy our corn fix. We have some of our favorite corn recipes below!
- Who doesn’t love Creamed Corn? Our recipe is so easy to make and incredibly delicious. It also goes so well with a variety of meals and is always one of the first things to disappear from the table. It’s a ‘keep in your back pocket’ side dish recipe for sure with minimal ingredients and simple preparation.
- Another corn dish we could eat all day long any time of the year is Korean Corn Cheese. Most popularly found at Korean barbecue restaurants, this side dish couldn’t be easier to make at home. I recommend making a double..no triple batch because it seriously is THAT good! This is the ultimate in easy thanksgiving sides.
- Elote Bruschetta works as both a side dish and a simple appetizer! We love serving it sans crostini as a side dish, and atop the crostini as an appetizer.
- Corn Cakes is another favorite over here! A little sweet, spicy, savory, and cheesy. What’s not to love, am I right?
- If you’re a non-salad, salad person our Corn Halloumi and Brown Butter Salad is for you! Bits of squeaky fried halloumi paired with luscious brown butter and sweet corn is literally a party in your mouth!
- Our Elote Fritters pack all the flavors of delicious elote in bite sized fritters. These make a great and unique thanksgiving side dish that will pleasantly surprise your guests!
All the Vegetable Thanksgiving Side Dishes You Could Want
Vegetable side dishes have a way of getting cast aside on thanksgiving, but we say no more! There are so many fun, delicious ways to serve them. We have our favorite vegetable side dishes below, that just may end upas some of your favorites!
Decadent Vegetable Side Dishes
- Our Cheesy Root Vegetable Gratin is always one of our most made thanksgiving side dishes and we get it! Not only is this dish truly delicious (cream and gruyère, yum!), but it’s also gorgeous. It always steals the show at any meal!
- Our Creamy Baked Cauliflower is our answer to the old school green bean casserole. We made sure to top ours with crispy fried onions, because it wouldn’t be a proper creamy thanksgiving vegetable casserole without them! If you’re a fan of green bean casserole, we think you’ll love our cauliflower version!
- If mashed potatoes aren’t your thing, try our Butternut Squash Puree with Brown Butter. It’s so so good and you can never go wrong with brown butter! We love this recipe even more because yo can also blend it up with more stock and a healthy splash of cream for the most incredible butternut squash soup!
- Creamed Kale should definitely show up on your thanksgiving or holiday table this year! It’s rich, delicious and loaded with so much hearty and earthy kale. We also have a kale salad on the blog if that’s your thing!
- Sick of the typical roasted brussels sprouts? Our Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad is anything but typical and boring. This recipe uses thin sliced, crunchy brussels sprouts that are tossed in a pancetta and dijon mustard vinaigrette and finished with pretzel croutons.
On the Healthier Side
- Our Lightly Roasted Green Beans are a simple vegetable side dish that still deserves a bunch of attention. They’re easy to make and so delicious! We use fresh green beans, not canned for optimal flavor and texture! This recipe is also one of favorite because it belongs in our easy thanksgiving side dishes category! Top with some crispy shallots for some extra flavor if you happen to have them on hand!
- We love Roasted Radishes so much! They have a subtle flavor when roasted and goes well with just about anything!
- Root Vegetable Fritters are another appetizer or side dish recipe that we love so much!
- Another non-potato mash dish that we love is our Cauliflower, Parsnip and Roasted Garlic Mash. It’s a little healthier and the roasted garlic adds the most incredible flavor!
- We love delicata squash so much and get so excited to see them popping up in markets during the fall and winter months! Our Honey Roasted Delicata Squash is one of our favorite ways to prepare delicata squash. The rings get nicely caramelized and really melt in your mouth. This is a really easy sheet pan side dish!
- We have been making our Maple Glazed Acorn Squash for years! It’s a staple thanksgiving side dish that everyone always gobbles down. If you’re intimidated by acorn squash, we promise our recipe is a great place to start! The hint of sweetness from the maple syrup is so delicious with the squash.
- Our Citrus Sautéed Beet Stems are so simple, fresh and delicious. A true ‘greens’ dish that will help settle your stomach from all the rich and creamy dishes that we know you’ll love. It’s also the best way to make use of your beet leaves and stems!
- Balsamic Grilled Baby Carrots are packed with flavor and a great vegetable side dish that’s good for you too!
- Fine, cranberries aren’t a vegetable, but we snuck it in here because it wouldn’t be thanksgiving without a big batch of cranberry sauce! Our Cinnamon, star anise and orange infused cranberry sauce is easy to make and so good!
Mac and Cheese, Please!
Yes, we definitely think mac and cheese makes a fabulous and totally necessary thanksgiving side dish. Some people think it’s excessive, but we’re definitely not “some people”. There are SO many ways to make delicious mac and cheese and we’ve listed our absolute favorites that would be perfect for thanksgiving!
- Our Stovetop Mac and Cheese is so rich, creamy, smooth, and a little bit special because we skip the rue, so there’s no need to worry about the cheese sauce getting gritty.
- Get your pumpkin fill this year with our Pumpkin Mac and Cheese. It’s so good and the pumpkin flavor goes perfectly with the salty cheese and fragrant thyme. Don’t skip on the toasted breadcrumbs!
- If you want an over the top mac and cheese dish that will be gone in a flash, make our Baked Carbonara Mac and Cheese. Cheesy pasta with bacon, do we even need to say more?
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is definitely a thing and it’s glorious! It’s the perfect way to sneak mac and cheese onto your table without worrying about adding another carb-filled dish to the menu!
- Creamy Vegan Stovetop Mac and Cheese is not only a super inclusive dish, but we promise even non-vegans go nuts for this dish. It’s super smooth, creamy and still filled with delicious cheesy flavor!
- Baked Spinach and Artichoke Mac and Cheese is the perfect mac and cheese dish that can be totally prepped days ahead of time, covered and stored in the fridge. Just throw it in the oven before you’re ready to sit down for dinner!
- Finally we have out Taleggio Mac and Cheese topped with Buttery Crackers. We don’t always recommend using fancy cheeses for mac and cheese, but this dish is the exception. The flavor of the ultra creamy taleggio is so good and perfect with the buttery cracker topping!
Bread and Biscuits as Thanksgiving Side Dishes? Absolutely!
We 100% consider breads and biscuits an appropriate and completely necessary for your thanksgiving menu. How else will you sop up all the delicious gravy on your plate?
- It’s hard to beat buttery Garlic Bread. Not only is it flavor packed, but our version has a crispy top and soft and fluffy center, making it perfect for gravy sopping.
- Sour Cream and Chive Drop Biscuits are one of our go to biscuits to make, always. The drop style of these biscuits make them so easy to make! They’re super fluffy and so yummy!
- We love this Cheesy Herb Pull Apart Bread so much. Not only is it fun to eat, but each slice is filled with cheesy, herby, butter goodness.
- Our Herb and Cheese Braided Star Bread can definitely be served as a thanksgiving side dish or appetizer. It might look complicated to make, but we promise you it’s actually super simple and incredibly tasty!
- Garlic and Herb Pane Bianco is not only delicious but so pretty too! We love serving it on a large platter, partially sliced, so everyone can see the beautiful swirls as they sit down to enjoy their meal!
- If you want more pumpkin on the table, try our Pumpkin Cornbread. It’s a deliciously savory cornbread that is loaded with so much pumpkin flavor!
- Looking for a delicious loaf of bread to serve, but limited with time? Our Black Pepper and Parmesan Beer Bread is for you! We call it a “cheater” bread because there’s no yeast involved. It takes a fraction of the time to make, but is so delicious!!
- Our Ham and Cheese Buttermilk Biscuits are a delicious option if you are biscuit lover. We love the hint of ham in this recipe and the slight sweetness from the buttermilk.
While thanksgiving is a special time to get together with loved ones, there’s no doubt it can be stressful for the host and hostess. We hope our suggested list of thanksgiving side dishes bring some joy, relief and creatively into your kitchen!
More Thanksgiving blog posts you might like: