Every holiday season for the past handful of years, I’ve seen these braided star breads floating around the internets and I’ve always been so intrigued. They’re so pretty and always look super flaky, buttery and just so yum. This year I finally had to make my own, so today we have our Herb and Cheese Braided Star Bread!
This recipe is SUPER simple, especially since we’re using store bought puff pastry and just mixing all the filling ingredients together. It really makes for an awesome last minute appetizer for guests, or to bring to a holiday party. This is so yummy on its own, but also really great served with a side of jam to spread on or honey for drizzling! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Herb and Cheese Braided Star Bread
- 2 sheets puff pastry, each rolled to a 12”x12” square
- 4 ounces mascarpone, softened
- ¼ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced sage
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Lay puff pastry sheets onto a clean surface, side by side and place a 10” (in diameter) bowl upside down, over each sheet and trim around the edge to create 2 even circles.
- In a mixing bowl combine mascarpone, gruyere, Parmesan, chives, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Stir together.
- Evenly spread mascarpone mixture over one of the puff pastry rounds and carefully place the other round on top.
- Transfer circles to a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Place a 2.5” (in diameter) prep bowl upside down over the surface and using a sharp knife create 16 even cuts around the circle, from the center (where the prep bowl’s edge starts) to the outer edge of the circle ‘sandwich’. You should end up with something that looks like a ‘sun with rays’.
- Remove the prep bowl starting from one side, grab 2 of the cut strips and twist them both outward twice before bringing the two edges together and pinching them closed.
- Add 1 tablespoon water to the beaten egg and brush mixture over the whole star.
- Optional step: Using a small, star shaped cookie cutter, cut a star from the center of the braided bread.
- Bake braided star bread for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Allow bread to cool for about 10 minutes and serve.
- *Makes 1 (10 inch) Bread