I love this homemade drop biscuit recipe we have for you today! There is nothing better than taking that first bite of a warm fluffy biscuit fresh out of the oven. This wonderful easy biscuit recipe is perfect if you suddenly realize you need biscuits or rolls for dinner and don’t have any. These homemade drop biscuits are easy to make, and a little bit sturdier than a flaky biscuit which makes them perfect to pair with hearty soups like our Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup or our Hearty White Bean and Kale Soup. You can make breakfast sandwiches with them!
How to make Drop Biscuits
The beautiful thing about this recipe is that it’s really simple.
- Mix together all of the all ingredients except sour cream and milk until there are no lumps.
- Mix in dour cream.
- Add milk and mix until dough just comes together.
- Drop the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown
Can Drop Biscuits be Frozen?
Yes they can! Drop the biscuit dough onto a baking sheet as per the recipe and instead of putting them into the oven, freeze them until completely frozen then transfer to a airtight bag and store in the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready to make follow the directions on the recipe. You may need to add a little bit of time to compensate for freezing them.
Drop Biscuit Variations:
One of the wonderful things about this homemade drop biscuit recipe is that you can change up the mix-ins to fit your preference. Some other ingredients we love to add are:
- Shredded Cheese
Drop Biscuit Tips and Tricks:
- These biscuits are really simple and easy to make already, but here are some tips!
Make sure to not over mix the dough. If you do, your biscuits will not be as light and fluffy as they could be!
- My favorite way to grease the spoons to prepare to drop the biscuits onto the baking sheet is to just spray them with cooking spray. If you don’t have cooking spray you can always just dip your spoons in oil.
- You can also skip scooping with spoons all together and use a scoop like this one.
Hungry for more?
Sour Cream and Chive Drop Biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- 3 tbsp thinly sliced chives
- ⅔ cup sour cream chilled
- ½ cup milk chilled
- ¼ cup melted and cooled unsalted butter plus more for brushing on top of biscuits
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Whisk together until no lumps remain.
- Add sour cream, milk and melted butter and stir together until very sticky dough comes together.
- Add sliced chives and fold together until combined.
- Using two lightly greased spoons or a lightly greased ice cream scooper, drop 1/4 cup sized balls of batter/dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment, about 1 inch apart.
- Bake biscuits for about 15 minutes, then remove them from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter. Place biscuits back into the oven and continue baking for another 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow biscuits to slightly cool before serving.