Hi Guys! Today we have these Cornmeal and Jalapeño Cheddar Biscuits! I love a jalapeño-cheddar combo, and with the cornmeal they are like the biscuit version of a delicious cornbread. The addition of cornmeal to the mix is nice because it changes the texture, and gives you a crispier crust, but still leaves the inside buttery and soft. The perfect drop biscuit. You can scale the cheddar and jalapeño up or down to your liking, but as the husband noticed you get the taste of jalapeños in this recipe without the heat, so if you’re not a spicy type of person these biscuits will be perfect.
How to make Cornmeal and Jalapeño Cheddar Biscuits
This cheddar biscuit recipe is for drop biscuits. They are much easier and quicker to make because there is no kneading or rolling involved.
1. Preheat Oven
2. Mix all dry ingredients together
3. Cut in butter with dry ingredients
4. Fold in cheddar and jalapeños
5. Scoop 1/4 cup of dough onto baking sheet about an inch apart
6. Bake biscuits and enjoy!
How to store Cheddar Biscuits
You can store them in an airtight container on your counter for up to three days. Microwave to heat them up a little when you are ready to enjoy them.
What do you serve with Cornmeal and Jalapeño Cheddar Biscuits
– Cut them in half and make delicious breakfast sandwiches
– Eat them with our Kitchen Sink Chili
– Eat them as a snack with butter and honey
– Eat them with our Loaded Baked Potato Soup
– We also love them with Tomato Soup
How to make Cornmeal and Jalapeño Cheddar Biscuits dairy free
Instead of using buttermilk in this recipe, use any milk alternative you prefer, like almond, or oat. Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar to the alternative milk and let it sit for a couple of minutes before using.
Instead of using cheddar cheese, you could try a dairy free vegan cheese alternative such as Daiya.
More biscuit recipes you might like:
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Cornmeal and Jalapeño Cheddar Biscuits
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp superfine sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter (1 stick) cut into small cubes
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large jalapeño seeded and diced
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (½ stick) melted
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Place flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, and pepper into a large mixing bowl and whisk together.3. Cut in butter with a pastry knife or using your fingers until a fine grainy texture forms.
- Fold in cheddar, jalapeño and buttermilk until a dough forms.
- Scoop 1/4 cup sized balls of dough and drop onto a parchment lined baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- Bake biscuits for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush tops with melted butter. Place back into oven and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, serve.