I love summer, partially because fresh corn is in abundance, which is one of my favorite summer vegetables! This recipe for Summer Corn Halloumi and Browned Butter Salad is so simple, really delicious and only uses a handful of ingredients!
I seriously make this salad all summer long. The browned butter adds such a wonderful flavor to the fresh pops of sweet corn and the salty halloumi. It’s finished off with sliced chives and lime juice and zest which adds a bright finish to the dish.
How to Make this Summer Corn Salad Recipe
- Sear halloumi
Sear halloumi on each side, in a hot skillet, until browned. The searing produces a really nice texture to this grill-able cheese.
- Chop seared halloumi
Place halloumi onto a cutting board and chop into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Brown the butter
Melt butter in skillet and brown. Browning the butter adds a really nice nutty flavor and aroma to the butter and in turn the overall dish.
- Sauté corn
Add corn to browned butter and sauté for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper, but watch how much salt you add because halloumi is quite salty.
- Add herbs
Remove from heat and stir in fresh herbs.
- Add seared halloumi chunks
Fold in the prepared halloumi.
- Add lime zest
Add lime zest and stir. The lime zest is optional, but adds a nice pop of freshness to the salad.
This dish can be served warm or cold!
If you’re unable to find fresh corn you can substitute with canned corn that has been drained or frozen corn that has been thawed.
Halloumi is a salty sheep or goat milk cheese (sometimes made up of a blend of both) from Cypress with a high melting point. Its high melting point and ability to hold its shape makes it a great cheese to sear or grill. It can be found in the cheese section of most grocery stores.
Yes! This dish can be made up to 3 days ahead of time. When ready to serve, you can either serve it straight from the refrigerator or slightly warm it up in a skillet, over, medium heat, for 3 to 4 minutes. If making this dish ahead of time, we recommend adding the herbs and lime zest to the dish the day you serve it for maximum freshness.
This Summer Corn Halloumi and Browned Butter Salad really is the perfect summer salad that pairs so well with so many delicious dishes like our Baby Back Ribs with Sweet Honey BBQ Sauce, our Slow Cooker Beef Brisket, and our Sticky Honey Garlic and Chile Chicken Drumettes!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Summer Corn Salad Recipe
- 4 ounces halloumi
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 heaping cups sweet corn 3 to 4 cobs of corn
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- zest of 1 lime optional
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once skillet is hot, add halloumi and sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned. Remove from heat and cube into bite sized pieces.
- Lower heat to medium heat and add butter. Allow butter to melt and toast until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add corn and toss together. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in chives and cilantro.
- Fold in cubed halloumi. Finish with fresh lime zest, if using. Serve warm or room temperature.
- If you can’t find fresh corn you can substitute with drained, canned corn or frozen corn (thawed).
- This recipe can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and slightly warmed over low heat, for 3 to 4 minutes. You can also serve this dish straight from the refrigerator if preferred cold.
- If making ahead of time, we recommend waiting to fold the herbs and lime zest to the mixture until the day of serving.