I think I’ve only had creamed corn 2 to 3 times ever,.,and I’m pretty sure each time I was having prime rib. I also haven’t had it in a pretty long time, a handful of years at least. Anyway, we’re changing that today with our Creamed Corn Mac and Cheese. This stovetop mac and cheese is quick, simple and so so good! I love the small pop’s of sweetness you get from the corn, just swimming around in the creamy and super cheesy sauce. This dish makes for a perfect ‘fat kid’ meal in itself, but it also goes really well as a side, especially with some grilled meats and veggies….so this would be perfect for Memorial Day weekend! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Creamed Corn Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound dry elbow macaroni
- 4 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels from 3 to 4 ears of corn
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ⅔ cups whole milk
- 5 ounces shredded swiss
- 2 ounces shredded white cheddar
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add a small handful of salt and macaroni and stir together.
- Boil macaroni until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove macaroni from heat and reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Drain pasta and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
- Place pot back over medium heat and melt butter. Add shallot and garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add corn and continue to sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over corn mixture and continue to sauté for an additional minute.
- Remove ⅔ cup corn mixture from pot and set aside.
- Sprinkle flour over corn mixture remaining in pot and stir together until there are no raw lumps of flour left, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Slowly stir milk into the flour mixture and continue to stir together until mixture is smooth and begins to simmer and thicken enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in the shredded swiss followed by the cheddar, slowly and in small handfuls, until all the cheese has been added and melted into a smooth sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold in the cooked macaroni until fully incorporated and any of the reserved pasta water as needed if the mixture is too thick, 2 tablespoons at a time, until the macaroni and cheese is creamy and smooth.
- Adjust seasonings, stir and top with reserve corn mixture. Serve.
- *Makes 1 quart of Mac and Cheese