Spinach and artichoke is one of my favorite combinations for appetizer dip stuff. Especially warm. Yum. So because we love that combo so much, we put them into beignets because that seemed like a really good idea. A delicious dough pocket filled with even more cheesy delicious filling. Yaaasss. So frying stuff is not always the easiest thing to do – but these are worth it. I promise. :)
Hungry for more?
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Beignets
spinach and artichoke filling
- 2 (8 oz.) blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1 heaping cup frozen spinach, thawed and chopped with as much excess water squeezed out
- 1 (15 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water (95-115˚F)
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature and lightly beaten
- 3 ½ cups bread flour
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- In a mixing bowl, stir together filling ingredients until fully combined. Cover and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sprinkle yeast and sugar into water and allow mixture to sit and get frothy, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in buttermilk, baking soda, salt, and egg.
- Add flour, ½ cup at a time, until fully incorporated and a rough dough comes together. Turn mixture out onto a clean, lightly floured surface and knead for 4 to 6 minutes or until a smooth dough comes together.
- Place dough into a lightly greased bowl and cover with a damp towel. Allow dough to sit in a warm area until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Fill a tall-and wide pot with 2-inches oil and preheat to 350˚F.
- Once dough has doubled in size, punch down in center to deflate, turn out onto a clean, lightly floured surface and cut dough into two equal pieces. Cover one piece of dough and roll out the other until ¼ – ⅛ inches thick.
- Place 2 teaspoon sized dollops of the filling over the rolled dough, about 2 inches apart.
- Roll other half of dough until about ¼ – ⅛ inches thick and carefully place over the other rolled dough with the dollops of filling.
- Using a 1 ½ to 2 inch circle cutter to cut out stuffed rounds, making sure the edges are well sealed.
- Carefully and gently drop a few pieces of dough into the hot oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Drain onto a baking sheet lined with paper towels and repeat until all dough has been fried.
- Top beignets with a generous amount of grated Parmesan and serve immediately.
- *Makes 40 Beignets