I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I love lentils. They’re really versatile and do a really good job filling you up! Lentils add a great amount of texture to a variety of dishes. They’re great in salads, make great vegan or vegetarian burgers that are ‘meaty’ and filling. My favorite way to eat lentils are in simple, creamy soups. They also make even better leftovers the next day. Today we have our Creamy Vegan Lentil Soup with Spinach and we finish it with a simple Garlicky Almond Cream.
This vegan lentil soup recipe is pretty simple and comes together rather quickly. I like blending half the soup so that you get an even more creamy texture, but that’s totally optional! You can also add some kale into the mix instead of spinach if that’s more your jam, I just recommend letting it cook down for a longer amount of time so its nice and tender.
The almond cream is so good, but is totally optional. This Vegan Lentil Soup with Spinach is a great weeknight meal because it doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and time. You can easily make a double batch and eat it throughout the week. If you love lentils as much as we do, you’ll love our Masoor Dal recipe as well! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Vegan Lentil Soup with Spinach and Topped with Garlicky Almond Cream
garlicky almond cream:
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 4 roma tomatoes seeded and diced, divided
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 sliced chives
- For garlicky almond cream: Place almonds and garlic into a small bowl and submerge in water. Allow almonds and garlic to soak for at least 3 hours and up to 8 hours. Drain and place almonds and garlic into a blender. Add 1 cup fresh water and blend until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- For lentil soup: Place a pot over medium-high heat and add oil. Once oil is hot, add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add half of the tomatoes followed by the cumin, coriander and turmeric and continue to sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add lentils to pot and stir together for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour stock over mixture and bring to a boil. Once water is boiling reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until most the liquid is absorbed and the lentils are creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove soup from heat and scoop half of the soup into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour pureed mixture back into the pot and stir together.
- Bring soup back to a simmer and stir in remaining tomatoes and spinach until just wilted. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- To serve: Ladle soup into bowls and top each with some of the almond cream and sliced chives. Serve.