New England Clam Chowder is one of my favorite soups. It’s such a warm and comforting dish, but I get a little bummed with the amount of butter and cream that tends to go into a lot of versions. Today we have a cleaner version of the classic chowder that is still extra creamy and delicious that you can still feel good about! I also made this version vegan so that it can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone…. …well, except for the bacon ‘garnish’ I stuck in there because I couldn’t help myself.
The oyster crackers in this are also DELICIOUS, but not vegan because I use regular butter, but feel free to use a vegan butter! I ended up doubling the oyster cracker recipe part the last time I made this because I ended up eating all the buttery crackers before they could make it on top of the chowder, lol. Oh well. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Creamy Vegan Cauliflower Chowder
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, outer leaves and stem removed and cut into bite sized florets
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced chives
- 1 quart vegetable stock, warmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup oyster crackers
- 2 teaspoons thinly sliced chives
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- cooked bacon strips, optional garnish
- Pour oil into a large pot and place over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic, cauliflower and herbs and continue to sauté for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of the stock to the pot and simmer for about 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Strain half the vegetables from the pot and set aside.
- Pour remaining mixture into a blender and blend until smooth, adding remaining stock, as needed, until a thick consistency has been achieved.
- Pour mixture back to the pot and stir in strained vegetables. Adjust seasonings. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes before removing from heat.
- For seasoned oyster crackers: Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add oyster crackers and stir to coat in butter. Add remaining ingredients and continue to sauté for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow crackers to cool and dry.
- To serve: Pour chowder into bowls and top with oyster crackers. Garnish with strips of bacon, if using. Serve.