I have to tell you after we shot this, I ate a million of these on set. They are so so good. Simple, and easy, and seriously perfect to make for a group of friends while you have a Harry Potter marathon. They are also cute and light and airy. There is a subtle kick in sauce which is awesome. This is a really great recipe to make when you entertain.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 quart oil
spicy honey drizzle
- ⅔ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh chili sauce such as Sambal
- sea salt to taste
- Pour oil in a large pot and begin preheating on medium-high heat.
- Place all ingredients for the hush puppies into a large bowl and whisk together to create a thick batter.
- Once the oil has reached 350 degrees F fry large (2 tablespoon) spoonfuls of batter for about 5 minutes. This will take several batches.
- Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl combine the honey and chili sauce and stir together.
- Serve the hush puppies warm with a drizzle of the spicy honey sauce.
- *Makes: 15