We are huge fans of shrimp over here, so we thought that it was finally time to get a collection of all our best shrimp recipes together for you all!
We have a wide variety of shrimp recipes perfect a number of occasions, like simple appetizers, for weeknight dinners and recipes that are crowd pleasers. There’s a little something for every shrimp lover out there.
Below you’ll find our favorite shrimp appetizer recipes.
- Shrimp Fritters This recipe is so good. A pate a choux mixed with shrimp and green onion, packs them with so much flavor, and the base makes these fritters super light and airy. The spicy-honey drizzle that go with these is not to be missed!
- Shrimp Toast Nuggets This drool-worthy recipe is a total crowd pleaser. It’s also easy to make in bulk in case you are hosting for a crowd!
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail This delicious recipe is so simple and perfect for hot days!
- Shrimp Taquitos These taquitos are super crispy and a fun take on traditional taquitos. Serve them with our simple chipotle crema for dipping.
- Vietnamese Style Pork and Shrimp Egg Rolls Delicious crispy egg rolls that pack a ton of flavor with an exterior that is so light is shatters in your mouth in the most pleasant way.
- Shrimp Scampi We love this super simple, classic shrimp dish that uses minimal ingredients, but can be so versatile. Serve it with a bunch of toothpicks for a crowd pleasing appetizer, or toss it together with some pasta for a quick and easy dinner that everyone will love!
Fried Shrimp Recipes
Who doesn’t love fried shrimp?! We have a bevy of delicious fried shrimp recipes that’ll satisfy any craving!
- Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos We love these baja style shrimp tacos. They’re light, crispy and paired with a simple slaw; perfect for summer!
- Coconut Shrimp Summer Salad A loaded delicious summer salad that utilizes all the fresh summer ingredients. Topped with delicious crispy coconut shrimp that turns this salad into a delicious meal.
- Coconut Shrimp with Mango Salsa The coconut coating on this shrimp makes gives the shrimp so much flavor and great texture. This recipe will show you how to easily fry them up, bake them, or use an air fryer because we love options and know you all do too!
- Light and Crispy Fritto Misto This batter is super light, crispy and we’ve paired with a garlic aioli for a classic take on the dish.
Grilled Shrimp Recipes
Our favorite grilled shrimp recipes are perfect for summer grilling season!
- Grilled Peel and Eat Shrimp A simple recipe packs in so much flavor!
- Grilled Shrimp and Steak Surf and Turf Steak and shrimp grilled and topped with a flavorful tomato and cucumber salad. Yum.
- Smoked Paprika and Garlic Shrimp Skewers The seasoning on these Shrimp Skewers are so good! They are perfect to serve as a main dish served over a bed of rice or mixed greens or even as a simple appetizer.
Shrimp Pasta Recipes
For those of you who love shrimp AND pasta, this section is for you (so basically all of us, right?!)!
- We love this Seafood Carbonara! It’s a super creamy and decadent carbonara dish loaded up with lots of seafood. What’s not to love?
- Shrimp Linguine with Garlic and Saffron Cream delicious creamy sauced pasta that is super indulgent and really easy to make. Make it in no time during a busy weeknight for a tasty midweek pick me up!
- Creamy Shrimp and Corn Ravioli This summer recipe is really easy to make with our wonton wrappers ‘pasta’ hack!
- Cajun Shrimp Pasta is everything I love in a pasta dish. It’s creamy, a touch spicy, and filled with so much shrimp!
Asian Shrimp Recipes
We love simple Asian inspired recipes, especially when we can throw some plump shrimp on top or incorporate it into something delicious like dumplings!
- Singapore Noodles This recipe is full of explosive flavor and cooks up quickly. We love that you can swap the vegetable out for whatever you have or feel like eating, like shredded cabbage, sliced carrots, and sautéed mushrooms!
- Spicy Red Curry and Coconut Noodle Soup Noodle soups are one of our favorite cozy meals to enjoy on a chilly (or honestly even hot) day! This one is one of our absolute favorites and not to be missed!
- Yum Woon Sen with Shrimp In the mood for something ultra fast and satisfying? This recipe is perfect for a quick and easy weekday lunch that you can even make the night before for the best make ahead meal!
- Shrimp Okonomoyaki We could eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s so good, filled with so much delicious shrimp and vegetables and finished with the most mouthwatering sauces and toppings! This also holds really well, so leftovers the next day make a great second meal!
- Shrimp Shumai This classic dim sum dish is way easier to make than you would think. Plus you can make a double batch and freeze these guys for whenever the craving hits you!
- Pork and Shrimp Dumplings Another awesome freeze ahead meal! These dumplings can be steamed, made in a soup or pan-fried for so much delicious variety.
- Soba Noodles with Shrimp We love to eat this dish for lunch or dinner. You can make everything ahead of time and toss together with the sauce right before you serve it.
Shrimp Dinner Recipes
We love it when we can incorporate shrimp into our dinners for a simple protein that everyone loves! Find our favorite shrimp dinner recipes below!
- Hawaiian Style Crispy Garlic and Butter Shrimp This recipe is so rich and delicious. The crispy shrimp is packed with tons of flavor and goes so well with the fresh pineapple and steamed rice for a well balanced dish!
- Shrimp and Grits Originally made for breakfast but hearty enough to enjoy for dinner. We love this creamy, cozy and very satisfying meal!
- Shrimp and Andouille Jambalaya This extra hearty and super delicious meal really hits the spot when you want something super cozy and warming. This recipes makes a huge batch to feed a crowd or to enjoy as delicious leftovers the next day.
- Hot Shrimp Over Cheesy Corn Grits Another variation of shrimp and grits, this fun take on Nashville hot chicken but in shrimp form (over cheesy grits) is a flavor explosion in your mouth that you won’t be able to resist!
Types of Shrimp
- White Shrimp – White shrimp taste a mild sweet flavor. They are larger, and have a tender texture.
- Brown Shrimp – Brown Shrimp have a more pronounced flavor, and a firmer texture.
- Pink Shrimp – Pink shrimp taste sweet and have a nice tender texture.
- Rock Shrimp – Rock shrimp have a nice briny flavor and soft texture.
- Red Shrimp – Red shrimp have a sweet flavor, and a texture most similar to lobster.
- Tiger Shrimp – Tiger shrimp have a bold shrimp flavor, and a nice firm texture.
Frozen vs. Fresh
The fresh shrimp you see in the seafood case at the market is usually the same as the pre-packaged shrimp you find in the freezer aisle, crazy, right?! Both are flash frozen for freshness, but the thawed shrimp you find in the seafood case is usually a little more expensive for convenience. The exception for this is if the shrimp you’re buying is local and marked otherwise on the sale label.
For this reason, we usually like to buy a large bag of frozen shrimp from the freezer aisle, which usually also provides a wider range of sizes for whatever your needs are. To thaw, simply place the frozen shrimp in a colander and run under cool to cold water until thawed.
It’s best to judge shrimp size by amount per pound. At the seafood counter or on frozen shrimp packaging you will see numbers like 41/50 which means you will get approximately 41 to 50 shrimps per pound. The smaller the number the larger the shrimp. You might also see numbers like U10. The U stands for “under”. It would mean under 10. Below is a list of shrimp sizes, and approximately how many you will find in a pound.
- Extra Colossal – Under 10
- Super Colossal – Under 12
- Colossal – 13/15
- Extra Jumbo – 16/20
- Extra Large – 26/30
- Large – 31/35
- Medium – 41/50
- Small – 51/60
- Extra Small – 61/70
We love the website Seafood Watch. They chart all seafood, and will let you know what is safe to eat. It will also give you suggestions for good alternatives if what you are looking for isn’t ideal for consumption at that time.