We made Cóctel de Camarónes aka Mexican Shrimp Cocktail, which is perfect for summer because its a nice cold dish. I love shrimp cocktail – and this takes that up a level. I love this recipe because you also get some cucumber, avocado and corn which makes this pretty filling. You can totally make this ahead too if you’re planning to have some people over! Serve with saltines because saltines are the best! But you can use anything from bread to whatever crackers you want :)
Hungry for more?
Cóctel de Camarónes aka Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- 1 pound peeled, deveined and cooked jumbo shrimp, halved crosswise
- ½ seedless cucumber, chopped
- ¾ cup fresh corn kernels (from 1 cob of corn)
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 2 ½ cups tomato juice can use a mix of clam juice and tomato juice if preferred
- ½ cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
- 1 large avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- queso fresco for garnish
- saltine crackers for serving
- Place shrimp, cucumber, corn, and red onion into a large mixing bowl and toss together.
- Pour tomato juice and lime juice over the shrimp mixture and gently fold together.
- Cover and refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes. Fold in avocado and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop mixture into 4 cups, spooning any extra liquid over each cup. Top with a light sprinkle of queso fresco and serve with saltine crackers.