Fried crispy appetizers are my favorite. So I am totally in love with this new recipe we have which is Shrimp Taquitos with Creamy Chipotle Sauce. You could also make this more of a meal and serve with some rice and beans or a yummy salad. The shrimp stays juicy and the tortilla gets super crispy! You’re gonna wanna bookmark this one!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Shrimp Taquitos with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 12 (6 inch) wooden skewers
pico de gallo
- 3 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced or 4 roma tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons diced white onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 garlic clove
- juice ½ lime
- 12 jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined with tails intact)
- 12 mini (4-5 inch) corn tortillas, warmed and wrapped in a clean towel**
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- lime wedges, garnish
- Fill a pot with tall sides with 3 inches oil and preheat to 350˚F.
- In a medium bowl combine all the pico de gallo ingredients, season with a pinch of salt and toss together. Set aside.
- Place chipotle sauce ingredients into the well of a food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- For taquitos: Place shrimp in a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss together.
- Trim the bottom ¼ inch of each tortilla, so they have a flat bottom.
- Place a shrimp atop one side of a corn tortilla, with the tail sticking out of the bottom of the trimmed tortilla. Carefully roll shrimp in the tortilla and seal shut with a wooden skewer. Repeat until all shrimp have been rolled (make sure to keep the rolled taquitos under a warm, and very lightly damp towel to prevent them from cracking as you roll the remaining taquitos).
- Once all taquitos have been rolled, carefully place into the hot oil, a few at a time, making sure not to crowd the pot.
- Fry taquitos on each side for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, crisp and shrimp has cooked through. Transfer to a plate covered with paper towels. Repeat until all taquitos have been fried. Season with salt.
- Serve taquitos immediately with pico de gallo and chipotle sauce.** It’s important that the tortillas are warmed and kept in a clean towel (to keep the steam in) before wrapping the shrimp because this will keep the tortilla pliable while you handle them and help to prevent them from cracking and tearing.
- *Makes 12 shrimp Taquitos
Did you make this recipe? We want to see!
tag @SpoonForkBacon and #SpoonForkBacon on Instagram
What kind of peppers did you use for the sauce?
Chipotle peppers :)
I can never get enough of a shrimp recipe, thank you so much. I might different sauces with this to.
Ooo, love the idea of other sauces!
Tim - Simplee Kitchen
These shrimp taquitos and sauce look like the perfect combo. The pics are awesome! I wish it wasn’t so late or I’d make these right now!! :)
These are perfect for late night! Lol
I think I’ll try this with wonton wrappers.
Did you try the wonton wrappers? Because I wa thinking the same thing and I was just wondering how they turned out