Today is officially the first day of summer! Yay! Fun and delicious produce is in abundance everywhere right now and one of my favorite summer things ever is sweet corn! I think corn makes just about anything better and this Sweet Corn Pesto is no exception. You can whip this pesto up in about 5 minutes and it only requires a small, handful of ingredients.
We’ve tossed our pesto with a 50/50 pappardelle and zucchini noodle blend. I know zucchini noodles have been all the rage for the last year or so, and while I love zucchini in general, I’m still not 100% convinced. I love carby pastas way too much to try to want to trick myself into thinking that strips of zucchini are the same thing. They’re just not. I’ve made a happy compromise with myself with the 50/50 blend though. I still get to enjoy my carbs, but the zucchini strips really lighten the dish up.
This super summery dish is simple and delicious and perfect for all the upcoming hot and sunny days! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Sweet Corn Pesto Tossed with (50/50) Pappardelle + Zucchini Noodles
sweet corn pesto
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons diced shallot
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large zucchinis, thinly sliced lengthwise using a potato peeler for long, thin strips
- 8 ounces pappardelle pasta
- ½ cup charred corn kernels
- fresh basil leaves or milk cilantro blossoms optional
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- For pesto: Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, corn and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and transfer to a food processor. Allow mixture to cool, about 5 minutes. Add oil and almonds and pulse until mixture is evenly and finely ground. Fold in Parmesan and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
- Place zucchini strips onto a baking sheet (will probably need a couple) lined with a cooling rack. Lightly sprinkle each strip with kosher salt and set aside. Allow zucchini to “sweat” for about 15 minutes.
- While zucchini ‘sweats’, cook pasta. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add a handful of salt and pasta and boil for 5 to 7 minutes or until al dente, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta into a colander, reserving 3 tablespoons pasta water, and add salted zucchini strips. Gently toss together and rinse until cool water.
- Transfer pesto to a large mixing bowl and stir in pasta water. Top pesto with pasta and zucchini noodles. Toss together until all the noodles are coated and evenly mixed together.
- Add corn and basil and adjust seasonings. Gently toss together and serve.