It’s really awesome when two great things come together into one. For instance, R2D2 and C3PO, Harry Potter and magic, bread and butter, and corn and spoon bread. So, I give you: jalapeño cheddar spoon bread! This recipe is corn bread in a souffle pudding texture situation. Ok, i know what you’re thinking. Why would I choose jalapeno cheddar spoon bread over regular corn bread? Well, let me tell you.
1. You can make spoon bread mountains or volcanoes on your dinner plate. (If you were a cool kid, you used to make these with mashed potatoes and peas. ).
2. This makes an incredible base at the bottom of a bowl of chili.
3. You get to eat it with a spoon.
4. The texture feels like silk deliciousness in your mouth.
A couple scoops of this saucy corn heaven will breath new life into any traditional country fare. Eating fried chicken? Tried adding a couple scoops of this magic sauceplex. I hope you love it!
What is Spoon Bread?
Spoon bread is a delicious fluffy and sponge-y textured cornbread. It is more like a soufflé texture than a bread texture. It get’s it’s name ‘Spoon Bread’ because it’s so soft, it’s best served with a spoon.
How to make Spoon Bread:
Spoon bread is so easy! Just 8 simple steps.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease your baking dish (9×12 for 1 inch thick spoon bread, or 8×8 for thicker spoon bread).
- Cook Cornmeal: Bring milk to a boil in a saucepan. Whisk in cornmeal with salt until it becomes thick.
- Add mix ins. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, jalapeño, and garlic.
- Add eggs. Continue to stir until all the steam has escaped. Beat eggs into mixture one at a time until fully incorporated. Fold in pepper.
- Pour mixture in baking dish. Dot with butter.
- Bake. Bake for about 35 minutes or until just set in center.
Other corn recipes you might love:
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Jalapeño Cheddar Corn Spoon Bread recipe
- 3 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9” x 12” baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside.
- Pour milk into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk in cornmeal and salt and continue to whisk until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and using a wooden spoon, stir in cheese, garlic, jalapenos, and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Continue to stir until most steam has escaped from the mixture. Beat eggs into the mixture, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Gently fold in pepper until just combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and dot top with remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until just set in the center. Allow to cool for 5 to 7 minutes. Scoop and serve.
- *6/2/2012 UPDATE: Some people have had issues with the amount of spoon bread they’re getting using a 9″ x 12″ baking dish. It’s totally okay that the spoon bread doesn’t rise very much while baking and is only about an inch thick…BUT if you want a thicker spoon bread here’s a quick fix: Either increase the recipe by 1/2 OR switch to a 8″ x 8″ baking dish!