Chicago is known for so many iconic dishes like deep dish pizza, Italian beef sandwich and Chicago dogs to name a few; but one of my favorite classic Chicago dishes that’s a little less known outside of Chicago is the Chicago Style Pork Chop Sandwich! It’s an incredibly simple sandwich but is packed with so much flavor, and the best part is the tender pan fried pork chop! I seriously couldn’t be more excited about this sandwich!!
The sandwich itself consists of thin bone-in pork chop that’s pan fried until golden and crisp on the outside and super moist and tender on the inside. The fried pork chop is topped with lightly caramelized (or grilled) onions and then everything is sandwiched between two potato buns that are slathered with mayo and whole grain (or spicy brown) mustard! See?! It’s really that simple. You can also add sport peppers to the sandwich, but I personally love having them on the side.
The bone-in pork chop might seem a little strange (and dangerous) for a sandwich and I’m not sure why it was originally made that way, but it’s the best and kind of fun! You just have to be careful as you get to the bone. If you’re worried you can totally make these sandwiches using boneless pork chops and still create an equally simple and delicious dish. We love how quickly pork chops cook up and our recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make! That’s right, you can have this delicious pork chop sandwich in under 30 minutes. It’s almost too good to be true. We’re always so impressed by the diverse dishes we’re able to create using pork as our protein of choice. If you’re ever in a cooking rut and looking for fresh pork recipe ideas, head on over to the National Pork Board website for a bevy of recipes as well as tons of information on cooking techniques, different cuts, nutritional information, and much more!
Check out more of our sandwich recipes:
- Metaball Sub
- Popeyes Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Lemongrass Beef Bahn Mi
- Grilled Tri Tip Sandwiches
- Philly Cheesesteak
- Pork Katsu Sandwich
Here are some other pork recipes you might like:
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Pork Chop Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 thinly sliced yellow onion
- 3 bone-in pork chops (about 1/2 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 3 potato buns (or burger buns of choice), lightly toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, lightly season with salt and pepper and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes or until onions are soft and have just started to brown. Remove heat and set aside.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper.
- Dredge each in flour, shaking off any excess, so each chop is coated in a thin layer of flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet with tall sides over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot carefully add pork chops and pan fry on each side for 4 to 5 minutes or until pork chops have slightly browned on the outside and just cooked through.
- Transfer pork chops to a cooling rack.
- Spread mayonnaise and mustard onto the tops and bottoms of each toasted bun.
- Top each bottom bun with a pork chop and pile onions on top.
- Gently press the top buns onto each sandwich and serve immediately.