Hi Guys! We’re finishing the week with a couple of huge meatball subs, using our marinara sauce from Wednesday. I LOVE a good meatball sub and have been pretty obsessed with the one at Bay City Deli in Santa Monica for the past 4 years. It’s so freakin’ good. One thing I’m not a fan of is waiting in line for an hour just to order the sub. The solution, make one myself. (in dire times like these, finding another suitable location could take days, if not weeks to find….meh, maybe I’m being a tad bit dramatic..and now I ramble…whatever)
Last week we offered a few picnic recipes, along with a fun picnic roundup and I think this sub would be a perfect addition. The way the marinara sauce just soaks into the soft, butter baguette, yet is secured by the toasted crust makes for a perfect traveling sandwich. While this sub is awesome piping hot, I’ve been just as happy eating it straight from the fridge…sort of like cold pizza…it’s all good. I hope everyone has an awesome weekend filled with lots of meatball “sub-age”! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Check out these other yummy sandwich recipes:
- Popeyes Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Grilled Tri Tip Sandwiches
- Philly Cheesesteak
- Pork Chop Sandwich
- Philly Cheesesteak
- Pork Tenderloin Sandwich
- Pork Chop Sandwich
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Mega Meatball Sub
- 2 pounds Bryan Flannery Prime Ground Beef Blend (or ground beef of your choice)
- ⅓ cup oat flour or 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 (12”) sourdough or French baguettes, split in half, buttered and toasted
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir together until just combined.
- Using meat mixture, roll 4 tablespoon sized meatballs (about 2 ounces each) until all the mixture has been used.
- Add oil to a heavy bottom skillet and place over medium-high heat. Add meatballs to skillet (in two batches as to not overcrowd the pan) and brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add all meatballs back into skillet and place in oven until meatballs just cook though, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from oven and drain as much excess grease from skillet. Pour marinara sauce over meatballs and simmer for 5 minutes.
- To assemble: Spoon a small amount of marinara sauce into each split baguette. Fill each with meatballs and top with more sauce. Finish with slices of provolone and broil on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese has melted and is bubbling. Top with more marinara if desired, cracked black pepper and freshly grated Parmesan. Serve immediately.
- *Makes 2 (12 inch subs)
Did you make this recipe? We want to see!
tag @SpoonForkBacon and #SpoonForkBacon on Instagram
These sound superb! Thanks for the Flannery Beef link, too.
Karen @ HonestlyYUM
I am literally salivating…
sounds absolutely deeeeeeeeeeeeeelish!!!!
But how can I make that tip of bread at home?
Just made this tonight- it was amazing! Seriously, the herbs in the meatballs and amazing marinara take this sammich to the next level. Thanks!
Bev @ Bev Cooks
I want to set up a cot in that thing.
Some of your prettiest work to-date :) Maybe it’s just how much I love meat….. but really, gorgeous, gals!
Who doesn’t love a meatball sub?! Awesome post! Made me really hungry now (and I’m eating lunch too!)
Sarah | The Sugar Hit
Oh my gah, this is a sandwich after my own heart. I could smash a meatball sub right now!
Damn! I was just at the grocery store. Now I have to go again to get minced beef and povolone.
Gimme, gimme!! These are incredible! WOW!
Oh my god I LOVE meatball subs! This looks amazing!!
Maura - YLT
This look so good. Love meatballs.
it’s lunch time and my mouth is watering! great recipe! the meatballs look so perfect mine are usually overly done on one side and not the other… one day i’ll get it right!
Mmmmm I’m literally drooling reading this post!! I want it now! I know my boyfriend would absolutely love this!!
Girlfriend of the year award