We both LOVE a good burrito and Carnitas Burritos are probably one of our favorites ever! It’s also one of the most popular pork dishes in California according to National Pork Board’s website, and we’re not surprised! We could probably eat carnitas burritos every single week, we love them that much!
Although carnitas are easy to make in the oven, we wanted to simplify things even more by making ours in a slow cooker. After rubbing the pork shoulder with our simple spice rub, just place the whole thing into a slow cooker, toss in the remaining ingredients, set it an forget it! It’s really that easy. After shredding the carnitas up, we love sticking it under the broiler for a couple minutes to get some delicious crispy bits of pork, but that step is totally optional! Either way, you’re guaranteed to get the most tender, flavorful carnitas you’ll ever taste, we promise!
One of our favorite things about carnitas burritos is how you can customize them based on personal preference! We really love loading our burritos up with as many fixins as possible, but you can definitely omit any of our suggested add-ins, and even add some of your own, based on how you like your burritos!
Pork is such a diverse protein that is used in an infinite amount of ways throughout cultures all across the country (and the world, for that matter!) and we love learning about different and new to us pork dishes all the time! Head on over to the National Pork Board’s website to check out other states’ most popular and iconic pork dishes for delicious cooking inspiration as well as just a wealth of knowledge on different cuts and cooking methods. Enjoy!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Pork Carnitas Burrito
- slow cooker
- 1 tbsp Mexican Oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp chile powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 pound boneless pork shoulder cut into 3 inch cubes
- 1 orange quartered
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 flour tortillas burrito sized, warmed
- 4 cups cilantro rice
- 4 cups pico de gallo
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese or queso fresco
- 4 cups guacamole
- 4 cups canned pinto beans drained
- Carnitas: Combine oregano, cumin, chile powder, and salt into a small bowl. Rub spice mixture over pork and place into a slow cooker (fat cap side up).
- Squeeze orange juice over pork and add orange quarters, onion and cinnamon sticks to slow cooker.
- Close lid and cook over low heat for 9 hours or high heat for 6 1/2 hours. (internal temperature should read ~190F˚)
- Once pork is fork tender and falling apart remove most of remaining fat cap and discard.
- Discard orange, onion and cinnamon sticks.
- Transfer pork to a rimmed baking sheet and shred using two forks.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of braising liquid from slow cooker over shredded pork.
- Place baking sheet under broiler and broil for 2 to 4 minutes or until some edges become crispy.
- Remove from broiler.
- Assembly: Lay tortilla onto a clean surface and spread about 1/2 cup guacamole over the tortilla in a shape of a brick. Top with about 3/4 cup carnitas, ½ cup cilantro rice, pico de gallo, cheese, guacamole, and beans.
- Carefully fold sides of the tortilla inwards, to the center of the burrito, then starting from the end closest to you roll until the burrito is fully wrapped and place onto a cutting board seam side down.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients and serve.