Today we’re reposting our Hawaiian-Style Macaroni Salad! I was never a fan of mac salad; I always thought of it as just macaroni noodles loaded with mayonnaise and some diced celery and it just never did “it” for me. That is until I had a “Hawaiian Style” one! I tried it for the first time in Hawaii and was blown away by the flavor! There was something so deliciously umami in flavor and I couldn’t figure it out! Come to find out it was the mere addition of bonito flakes! Who would’ve known that the little, dry and briny flakes would impart so much great flavor. I’m sure some of you are thinking…”dry fish flakes, seriously?” But I promise you it works and doesn’t leave your pasta salad tasting fishy at all!! I wrote about it in the original post and you can read it below!
This dish is PERFECT for this holiday weekend. I love Memorial Day weekend because it really kicks off the summer season and basically lets everyone know it’s time to dust off their grills for a few months of nonstop use. I’m actually in Hawaii right now with the boo, enjoying a quick and relaxing weekend away, but we’ll be back tomorrow night, ready for any and all Monday festivities! Is anyone making anything they’re particularly excited about this Memorial Day?? I’d love to hear your meal plans! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Hawaiian-Style Macaroni Salad
- ½ pound elbow macaroni
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 rib celery, cleaned and diced
- ¼ red onion, diced (about ⅓ cup)
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons bonito flakes or 2 ½ tablespoons canned tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- Fill a large pot with water, place over high heat and bring to a boil. Add about 2 tablespoons of salt and the macaroni and stir.
- Boil macaroni for about 12-15 minutes or until al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.
- Place mayonnaise, bonito flakes, vinegar, and mustard (if using) in a small bowl and stir together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold carrots, celery, onions, and mayonnaise mixture into the bowl of macaroni and stir together until completely combined.
- Place mixture in the refrigerator for at least an hour and adjust seasoning before serving.