We’ve almost reached the end of summer, but we’re not ready to let go quite yet. The weather is still really warm in California, so we’ve been grilling as much as we can! Kabobs have always been high on our list of favorite things to grill because they’re so versatile, have so much flavor and cook up quickly!
Today we’ve teamed up with Beef + Lamb New Zealand to make this delicious recipe for Grilled Lamb Kabobs with a Mint-Yogurt Sauce. We’re using New Zealand grass-fed lamb shoulder for our recipe because it’s fairly lean, has so much flavor and is a less expensive cut, so there’s no need to worry about breaking the bank. Although the shoulder blade is typically used in low and slow type recipes, we marinate our cubes with some red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard which really helps to tenderize the meat, making it a great cut for our quick and easy grilled kabob recipe!
We’re truly so happy to see New Zealand grass-fed lamb becoming more and more readily available in grocery stores across the U.S. (find it at your local Whole Foods Market or Trader Joes) – and even online. The source of our meat is always very important to us. Grass-fed year-round, the animals are allowed to roam freely and graze naturally, and the farmers from New Zealand really work hard to provide a superior product. They are committed to humanely raising their sheep and reducing carbon emissions. Most are generational farmers that truly care about the planet and their work, and we couldn’t appreciate that more!
We’ve paired our super flavorful kabobs with a simple and delicious mint-yogurt dipping sauce. The bright, sweet and savory sauce pairs so well with the juicy and smoky cubes of lamb. This dish is perfect for both lunch and dinner; just add a simple cucumber or mixed greens salad on the side and you have a perfectly satisfying, well rounded meal! Enjoy!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Grilled Lamb Kabobs with Mint-Yogurt Sauce
- 12 wooden bamboo skewers
- 4½ tbsp olive oil divided
- 2½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1½ tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp minced rosemary
- 1 tbsp minced tarragon
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2½ pounds boneless New Zealand grass-fed lamb shoulder cut into 1 inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
mint yogurt sauce
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl combine 3 tablespoons oil, vinegar, mustard, rosemary, tarragon, and garlic cloves and whisk together.
- Add lamb to marinade and toss together until each piece is evenly coated.
- Refrigerate and marinate for 3 hours.
- Soak 10-12 bamboo skewers in water for about 30 minutes.
- Remove lamb from refrigerator and skewer cubes of lamb onto bamboo skewers until all cubes have been skewered. Season each skewer generously with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Set a grill or grill pan on medium-high heat and brush the surface with remaining oil.
- Grill skewers (in batches if needed) for 4 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and allow kabobs to rest, about 5 minutes.
- For sauce: Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Season with salt and pepper and stir together.
- To serve: Pile skewers onto a platter and top with a sprinkle of sea salt flakes and cracked black pepper. Serve with dipping sauce.