Today we have a bit of a summer staple recipe for you, our Creamy Potato Salad. We added some hard boiled eggs for protein and to make this super filling. This would be ideal for one of those meals when you only have enough time to make one side. This is such a simple side dish that won’t take too much time to make, but will yield a really delicious result. This recipe has just the perfect proportion of mayo to potato, so things don’t get too mayo-y if you know what I am saying. That just ruins potato salads. This recipe is really just a good staple to keep around and make whenever you need that bonus filling side dish. We used Farmers Garden by Vlasic Pickle chips diced up to give this salad some crunch, as well as some chives and shallots for a little edge. Guys, this is really the perfect potato salad for summer. Enjoy!
More recipes you might like:
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Creamy Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, washed
- 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/4 cup pickle relish drained
- 3 tablespoons diced shallot
- 1 ½ tablespoons thinly sliced chives
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Place potatoes into a large pot. Boil potatoes in generously salted water until fork tender, then drain.
- Transfer ⅓ of the potatoes to a large mixing bowl and mash until creamy.
- Once remaining potatoes are cool enough to handle, quarter and add to the bowl of mashed potatoes.
- Add boiled eggs, pickles, shallots, chives, salt, and pepper to the bowl and gently fold together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients.
- Fold dressing into the potato mixture until completely combined.
- Cover and place mixture in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Remove from refrigerator, adjust seasoning and serve.
VariationsOne of my favorite things about our potato salad recipe is its versatility. I love the recipe as written, but it’s also really easy to tweak based on personal preference.
- Add chopped bacon – The bits of fatty, salty bacon dotted throughout the dish adds a tasty pop of flavor.
- Omit the boiled eggs – If you would rather a purely potato filled potato salad. Just add 2 more potatoes to the dish.
- Add more herbs – We personally like adding tarragon and thyme!
- Peel the potatoes – Since red potato skins are so thin we keep them on and really love the snappy texture they add when you bite into a piece. If that’s not your thing, no worries! Just peel the potatoes before chopping and mashing them and combining them with the remaining ingredients.