This Savory Waffle recipe is incredibly versatile. Perfect for those of you who prefer savory or sweet for breakfast. It also makes a perfect brunch recipe, and a really fun and unique appetizer recipe. Make them smaller if you’re serving them with a bunch of other sides. Serve them on a platter with a bunch of different toppings so people can choose their own adventure. Make them two-bite size and serve them as a fun appetizer! The possibilities are endless with this recipe.
We have been all about the burrata, tomato, prosciutto (and usually peach) combo this summer, and have really been trying to find new ways to stick them into different recipes, like our Flatbreads topped with Peach and Burrata and our Heirloom Tomato Summer Peach and Burrata Plate. It’s just such a winner summer combination and I can’t get enough, so today we made another version but this time, using it on top of a delicious and fluffy savory waffle recipe. Our Cheesy Waffle Topped with Burrata, Tomato and Prosciutto! I love a great savory waffle and loading them up with all the yummy things makes them that much better!
Tips for making the best Savory Waffles:
- It is important to make sure you properly pre-heat your waffle maker. If you don’t preheat the waffle maker you risk your waffles turning out soggy.
- Make sure to evenly coat your waffle maker with cooking spray between every batch
- Only mix the batter until it’s fully incorporated. If you over-mix the batter, your waffles won’t be as fluffy and tender.
- No peeking! If you lift the lid before the waffle is done cooking, you could tear the waffle open.
There are two easy methods to make these ahead.
Make the batter ahead: Store the batter in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Take our of the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before using.
Make the waffles ahead: Make the waffles ahead and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. When you are ready to serve, preheat the oven to 250°. Space the waffles out on a baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes or until heated through. Serve how you prefer!
Savory Herb Waffle Toppings
In addition to the burrata, cherry tomatoes, and prosciutto that we love to use to top our savory waffles, there are so many different toppings that are perfect. Below are some ideas:
- Fried eggs (and bacon would be a good addition as well)
- Bruschetta (Or even our Elote Bruschetta)
- Boozy Bacon Jam
- Smashed Avocado
- Lox and Cream cheese (or our Beet Cured Salmon)
- Top with a simple green salad
We love this inexpensive Cuisinart Waffle Maker.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Savory Cheesy Herb Waffle Topped with Burrata, Tomato and Prosciutto
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons superfine sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick), unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ⅔ cup shredded cheddar
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
- 2 balls burrata
- 6 shaved slices prosciutto
- 30 cherry tomatoes, halved
- fresh oregano leaves
- Place flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Stir in egg, milk and butter until mixture is well combined, but do not over mix.
- Fold in cheese and chives until just combined.
- Preheat waffle maker to medium heat. Lightly spray waffle surfaces with cooking oil spray and add ¼ cup of the waffle batter into the center of the waffle maker well and gently close the lid.
- Cook waffle until golden brown and completely cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes, depending on your waffle maker.
- Remove from waffle maker and cool while making remaining waffles.
- Once all waffles have been made, top each with a scoop of burrata, about 5 cherry tomatoes, torn prosciutto pieces and some fresh oregano leaves. Season with sea salt flakes and cracked black pepper. Serve.
- *Makes 12 waffles
Did you make this recipe? We want to see!
tag @SpoonForkBacon and #SpoonForkBacon on Instagram
Waffle came out fabulous!!
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!!
The best! Made em yesterday!
Just made these and they’re so good! Yum yums in my tum tums 🤤
It looks like there are herbs inside waffles tho I don’t see that in the recipe?
In the photos for this recipe, it looks like there are herbs in the waffle as well?
Hi Dianne! The herbs are totally optional, but I used a little bit of sliced chives in this one.
This a great recipe we’ll replicate this for sure! Thanks for sharing ;-)
wow, never seen burrata topping a waffle before, just wow