I’ve said it a thousand times before; I definitely have a savory tooth over a sweet tooth….by A LOT. I like my sweets, but when it comes to dessert, I’d rather have a small after dinner cheese plate over any apple crisp, pie, cake, custard, etc. I’m the same way with breakfast foods. I don’t think I’ve EVER ordered just straight pancakes or waffles for breakfast, unless it’s to sub in for my side of toast. I love sweet waffles with fresh strawberries and whipped cream or chocolate chip and banana pancakes, but for dessert, and only after I’ve eaten all the savory things.
These savory waffles are really what my waffle dreams are made of. They’re super light and crispy, and just cheesy and oniony enough. The only problem is they’re super addicting. Really. I have the bad habit of eating one while I cook up another and the pattern tends to repeat itself, until I’ve pretty much eaten all the waffles, while just standing over the kitchen counter. No bigs…kinda.
Anyway, while I’ll happily gobble these guys up for breakfast, usually with a side of bacon or sausage (duh), I absolutely LOVE nibbling on them as a snack….especially while watching a movie or a couple episodes of Modern Family, whatever. I mean if you’re going to mindlessly snack for a couple of hours, it may as well be on something super delicious, like these waffles, right?? Oh and drizzling them with honey for a little sweet and savory action = HEAVEN.
If everyone would so kindly go home and whip a batch of these up to enjoy alongside a great movie or show, I would really love that! :) Enjoy!! xx, Jenny
More waffle recipes you might like:
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Gruyere and Green Onion Waffles
- waffle iron
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons superfine sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ¼ cup (½ stick), unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ⅔ cup shredded gruyere
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Place flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Stir in egg, milk and butter until mixture is well combined, but do not over mix.
- Fold in cheese and green onion until just combined.
- Preheat waffle maker to medium heat. Lightly spray waffle surfaces with cooking oil spray and add ⅓ cup of the waffle batter into the center of the waffle maker well and gently close the lid.
- Cook waffle until golden brown and completely cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes, depending on your waffle maker.
- Remove from waffle maker and serve immediately with whipped butter and honey, if desired.
- * Makes 9 waffles