These Brown Sugar and Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins are kind of in between muffins. They are not super sweet like cupcakes, but can definitely be eaten as an after dinner snack situation, and fulfill your need for something a little sweet. The strawberries balance out the tartness that you get from the rhubarb. I think these are actually better for a breakfast on the go type scenario, but I also ate them as a dessert thing. So they are really good for either. Which is perfect because if you make a batch, they are good to eat for more than one meal! YAY! Happy Monday!
Brown Sugar, Strawberry-Rhubarb Muffins
1 cup diced strawberries
1/2 cup diced rhubarb
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lemon, zested
6 Texas sized muffin liners
1 Texas sized muffin tin
1. Place strawberries, rhubarb, brown sugar, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl and toss together until mixture is well coated. Set aside and allow mixture to sit together for 30 minutes, tossing around every 20 minutes.
2. For muffins: Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners
3. Place flour, both sugars, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Add eggs and continue to whisk together.
4. Add milk, yogurt, butter, and vanilla and whisk together. Fold in the lemon zest and strawberry-rhubarb mixture until just combined.
5. Fill each muffin liner 2/3 way and bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a muffin.
6. Remove from oven and allow to muffins cool in the muffin tins. When warm enough to handle, transfer muffins onto a cooling rack and serve.
7. Muffins hold in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to three days. (To reheat and serve: Place muffins in a warm oven (about 200˚F) for 7-10 minutes to refresh. Serve.)