I love this entire recipe. From the mushroom and brown rice meatballs to the super creamy roasted red pepper sauce. It’s so freaking good. All vegan! And super filling! A perfect meatless Monday dish for sure. I also think this sauce is pretty amazing in general. After we made this I took the leftovers home and put this sauce over roasted chicken and it was delicious. YUM. Enjoy! ♥ Teri
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Creamy Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 12 ounces bucatini
- 2 ½ teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ shallot, minced
- 1 cup cooked and cooled brown rice
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons minced basil
- 1 teaspoon minced oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
roasted red pepper sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- 1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 3 ½ tablespoons minced basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegan shredded parmesan, optional
- fresh basil leaves, optional
- Fill a pot with water, place over high heat and bring to a boil. Add a small handful of salt and bucatini and boil, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Drain pasta into a colander, reserving 2/3 cup pasta water. Set aside.
- Vegan Meatballs: Place a large skillet over high heat. Once skillet is hot add oil. Add mushrooms and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and shallot and continue to saute for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in basil and oregano and remove mixture from heat. Set aside and allow mixture to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Pour mushroom mixture and remaining meatball ingredients into a food processor and pulse until mixture comes together (8 to 12 pulses).
- Form 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon sized balls with the mixture and set onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Refrigerate meatballs for about 30 minutes.
- Remove meatball from refrigerator. Place large skillet over medium heat and add remaining oil. Add meatballs to skillet and sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and lightly season, if needed.
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce: Place all ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour mixture into skillet and place over medium-low heat. Stir in reserved pasta water and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add pasta and reserved pasta water into sauce and toss together until pasta is fully coated.
- Top pasta with meatballs, Parmesan and basil leaves. Serve.