Hungry for more?
Boozy Bacon Jam
- 1 pound applewood smoked bacon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup sweet bourbon or brandy
- ⅔ cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons Sriracha
- salt and pepper to taste
- Render bacon on medium-high for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from the pot, add butter and melt.
- Add onion, brown sugar and a pinch of salt and cook for 10 to15 minutes.
- Add shallot, garlic and spices and sauté for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Return the bacon to the pot and stir until well combined.
- Pour the bourbon/brandy into the bacon mixture and cook the liquid down for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Skim off any fat/grease that has formed at the top and discard.
- Pour the mixture into a food processor and process until desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve warm or store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, until ready to use.
- *Makes 2 cups
- *1 serving = 1 tablespoon