More ice cream recipes that are delicious:
- Salted Cantaloupe and Ginger Ice Cream
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream Sandwich
- Brown Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Homemade Ice Cream Cones
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Salted Caramel and Candied Bacon Ice Cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and roughly crumbled/chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
ice cream base
- 2 ⅓ cups heavy cream
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 5 egg yolks
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place the butter in a medium sauté pan, over medium heat and melt.
- Add the bacon and stir.
- Sprinkle both sugars over the bacon and continuously stir until the sugar melts, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a single layer, pour the bacon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside to cool.
- For the ice cream base: Pour cream and milk into a saucepan and bring up to a scale (medium heat).
- Place the egg yolks and sugar into a stand mixer and whip until light yellow and fluffy.
- Pour ½ cup of the scaling cream mixture into the yolk mixture and whisk to prevent scrambling.
- Pour the yolk mixture into the saucepan with the remaining cream and milk, whisking to prevent scrambling.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and stir continuously until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and strain through a fine sieve.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and place over an ice bath and set side until fully chilled.
- Once the ice cream base has completely chilled, make the salted caramel.
- For the salted caramel: Place the sugar, water and karo syrup into a saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Do not stir.
- Once the sugar melts and becomes an amber color, 10-15 minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the cream (be careful, the mixture will bubble up).
- Stir the sea salt and vanilla into the caramel and stir until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and place over a water bath until completely chilled.
- Stir the chilled ice cream base and salted caramel together, into a large bowl until completely combined.
- Set up the ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions and freeze the ice cream.
- 10 minutes before the ice cream is ready, pour the candied bacon into the churning ice cream.
- Once the ice cream has reached the desired consistency serve or place into an airtight container until ready to use.
- *Makes 1 quart Ice Cream