Hi Guys! I’m getting so excited for the summer because there’s always something going on and something to do. I also love summer grilling, barbecues and eating one of my favorite things in the whole world…sweet corn! We were lucky enough to receive some gorgeous sunshine sweet corn from a collective of family farmers in Florida. What’s particularly exciting about this corn is that the sweetness peaks throughout April and May, which means getting our corn-fix on two whole months before summer begins! The lovely people over at Sunshine Sweet Corn are also running a fun Pinterest contest where you can win great prizes. Make sure to head on over to their site for full details.
We used our corn to create this super light and refreshing Sweet Corn Gazpacho. I love raw corn. I always find myself nibbling on freshly cut kernels, every time I cook with corn. I love the crunch of each individual kernel and how they explode the bright sweet flavors into your mouth. So fresh, so good. I don’t think people use raw corn enough, I certainly don’t but need to start…which takes me back to this gazpacho. It’s a different take on the standard tomato gazpacho. I love fun flavored gazpachos, like our Strawberry and Tomato Gazpacho. Our sweet corn gazpacho is a tad bit more hearty, but still makes for a super fresh and light dish. You can kick up the heat by adding in a serrano or jalapeno pepper to the mix. This soup is so easy to make and you can add in whichever fresh ingredients you want, depending on your taste. Sometimes I’ll blend 1/2 a bunch of cilantro directly into the mixture for a more intense flavor.Yum. This recipe is great because it’s vegan and gluten-free (so long as the stock/broth you use is homemade or gluten-free, as some store bought stocks/broths contain gluten). As the weather starts to warm up, I hope you guys try out this quick, easy and delicious sweet corn gazpacho. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Sweet Corn Gazpacho
Makes 6 to 7 cups
3 ears of Sunshine Sweet Corn
12 ounces (about 2 heaping cups) yellow cherry tomatoes
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded roughly chopped
1/2 medium shallot
2 to 4 garlic cloves (depending on preference)
1/2 canned white beans, drained
3/4 to 1 cup vegetable stock
juice of 1 lime, optional
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
salt and pepper to taste
high quality extra virgin olive oil
raw Sunshine Sweet Corn kernels
1. Holding an ear of corn on an angle in a large mixing bowl, slice fresh kernels off the cob and reserve 1/3 cup kernels for garnish. Using the back of your knife, remove the excess ‘milk’ (liquid) from the cob, into the bowl with the kernels. Discard cobs or reserve for later use.
2. Place the corn and remaining ingredients into a blender and thoroughly blend until smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Refrigerate mixture (in the blender well) for at least an hour.
3. When ready to serve, blend mixture for 30 seconds and adjust seasonings.
4. Ladle gazpacho into bowls and top with a sprinkle the reserved corn kernels.
5. Finish each serving with a drizzle of oil and a small about of radish sprouts and cilantro leaves. Serve.