Guys, I LOVE this pasta. I would definitely make some of this romesco sauce and pop it into the freezer for future delicious dinners. But back to the pasta, I love the breadcrumbs on this. It’s the perfect extra layer of carbs all pasta needs, but adds such a nice crisp texture to this dish. I also love how easy this would be to throw together if you already have the romesco prepped. Yay for easy and delicious weeknight dinners! :)
Romesco Sauce Rigatoni with Buttered Parmesan-Herb Breadcrumbs
Serves 2 to 3
1/2 pound rigatoni
buttered parmesan-herb breadcrumbs:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter
2/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
1 tablespoon minced oregano
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1 (16 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1/2 lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons minced parsley
2 tablespoons minced basil leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1. Fill a pot with water, place over high heat and bring to a boil. Add a small handful of salt and rigatoni and boil, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 6 to 7 minutes.
2. Drain pasta into a colander, reserving 2/3 cup pasta water. Set aside.
3. Breadcrumbs: Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat and add breadcrumbs. Stir and toast breadcrumbs for 3 to 4 minute, and remove from heat. Stir in herbs and transfer into a small mixing bowl. Once mixture has cooled, stir in Parmesan. Set aside.
4. Romesco Sauce: Place all ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour mixture into skillet and place over medium-low heat. Stir in reserved pasta water and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add pasta into sauce and toss together until pasta is fully coated. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Pour coated pasta onto a serving platter, top with buttered, Parmesan-herb breadcrumbs and serve.