My Asian glow didn’t burst into action upon first sip so that right there was enough to positively keep my attention. I kicked this version up a bit to make it a little more suitable for the winter months by adding some spices to the simple syrup for a lovely spiced simple syrup. I know it’s 80 degrees out here in LA, but goddamn it I want somewhat of a winter experience this year…. even if I have to make spiced simple syrup to get a taste of it! This drink is really tasty and super easy to make. I hope you all relax this weekend for a little post holiday R&R and try our our version of a classic summer cocktail “winterfied”;)
Winter Spiced Old Fashioned
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 12 ounces sweet bourbon or whiskey
- 1 orange, cut into 8 wedges
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- Place first five ingredients into a saucepan and simmer over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then cover and remove from heat. Allow the mixture to steep for 30 minutes. Strain the spices from the simple syrup.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely before placing in the fridge for an hour to chill.
- Divide an orange wedge and two cherries into each four glasses and muddle together.
- Place the chilled syrup, bourbon and ice into a large shaker and shake until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into each glass and top with an extra orange wedge, squeezing the wedge before dropping into the glass.
- Garnish each glass with a cinnamon stick, if using and serve.