Happy Valentine’s Day! We have the perfect adult beverage for anyone and everyone to enjoy (over the legal drinking age, lol), our Blood Orange Shandy! Not only are these drinks really pretty, they’re simple and so so good! We love winter citrus, and blood oranges make this drink such a beautiful color.
What is a shandy?
A shandy is a beer based drink that is traditionally mixed with a citrus flavored beverage. The citrus beverage can be carbonated or not. Shandy’s are a popular drink in Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. It’s slowly becoming more popular in the U.S. The light and refreshing nature of the drink make it a perfect summertime beverage.
Our version of shandy is of the blood orange variety that we finish off with a splash of sparkling water for a little more added fizz. We also incorporated a little bit of simple syrup to sweeten the drink up even more. I love using this beer for shandys, but feel free to use whatever light flavored/bodied beer for this!
Hungry for more?
Blood Orange Shandy
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup blood orange juice freshly squeezed
- 12 ounces pilsner (one bottle)
- ¼ cup sparkling water
- blood orange slices
- mint leaves
- Place sugar and water in small saucepan and simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove from
heat and cool.
- Combine simple syrup and orange juice into a liquid measuring cup and stir together.
- Fill four drinking glasses with ice and divide sweetened orange juice. Fill each
glass with half of beer and stir together. Top each shandy off with a splash of
sparkling water and garnish with blood orange slices and mint leaves, if using.