We’re right in the middle of winter and all I’ve been craving is this easy, cozy and delicious Tortellini Soup! I love how there are some many things going on in this soup and they all compliment one another so well.
I love enjoying this tortellini soup with a crusty baguette for dipping. I’m convinced you’ll all fall in love with this absolutely delicious and ridiculously easy soup.
Important Ingredients to Note for Tortellini Soup
- A great quality chicken broth is essential for this recipe. Since we’re not making our own, it’s important to use a store bought broth with a great base flavor to build on, since it’s the backbone of this recipe.
- Fresh tortellini is also really important for this recipe. Not only do they cook quickly, but the flavor is far more superior over dry, shelf stable tortellini. Our brand preference for fresh (store-bought) tortellini is Rana’s ‘Cheese Lovers’ flavor. It’s technically tortelloni and not tortellini (which essentially means they are larger in size), but we’re not splitting hairs here.
How to Make Our Tortellini Soup
- Pour oil into a large pot over medium heat and add meatballs. Lightly sear on all sides.
- Transfer meatballs to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to pot, followed by sweet potato and sauté.
- Stir in onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and continue to sauté.
- Add kale to pot and wilt.
- Pour stock into pot, season with salt and pepper then simmer until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add sausage back to pot and continue to simmer.
- Raise stove heat to medium-high and bring soup to a boil.
- Add tortellini and boil until tortellini has just cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each with some grated Parmesan and cracked black pepper.
Tools You Will Need
What to Serve with Tortellini Soup
Our Tortellini Soup is hearty enough to enjoy as a meal in itself, but there are also many things you can enjoy with this delicious soup!
- A crusty baguette is one of our favorite things to eat with this soup! We love ripping off big hunks and sopping up the broth.
- A simple salad is the perfect thing to enjoy alongside this tortellini soup, because sometimes you just want to have a soup and salad dinner.
- We’re never opposed to nibbling on a small assortment of cheeses with this soup. Who would, right?!
Making Tortellini Soup Ahead of Time
There are a couple different ways we prefer to make this soup ahead of time.
Prep Ingredients Ahead of Time
- chop all vegetables up and store in separate airtight containers, in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- form and sear mini meatballs, then cool and store them in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Partially Make Tortellini Soup Ahead of Time
- Make soup until right before it’s time to add tortellini. Then cool soup, transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- When ready to enjoy, pour soup into a pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once soup is boiling, add tortellini and boil for 3 to 4 minutes, until tortellini cooks through.
Other Cozy Soup Recipes You Will Love
- Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Garlic Ginger Beef Noodle Soup
- Hearty White Bean and Kale Soup
- Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Spicy Red Curry Noodle Soup with Shrimp
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
Check out our Tortellini Soup Web Story!
Also check out this post for our Best Soup Recipes!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces hot or sweet Italian turkey sausage rolled into mini meatballs (about the size of a penny)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch kale ribs removed and leaves torn
- 1 1/2 quarts unsalted chicken stock
- 24 pieces (fresh) store bought cheese tortellini
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Pour ½ tablespoon oil into a large pot over medium heat and add rolled sausage. Lightly sear on all sides for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer meatballs to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to pot, followed by sweet potato and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and continue to sauté for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add kale to pot and wilt for 1 minute.
- Pour stock into pot, season with salt and pepper then simmer for about 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add sausage back to pot and continue to simmer for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Raise stove heat to medium-high and bring soup to a boil.
- Add tortellini and boil for 3 to 4 minutes or until tortellini has just cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each with some grated Parmesan and cracked black pepper. Serve.
- *Makes about 2 1/2 quarts soup