Hello! Something you all probably don’t know about me is that long ago I was a vegetarian….FOR 3 YEARS! Crazy, right?! It was when I was in high school, after watching a rather inhuman and disturbing video in class. I swore off meat until one day, three years later, I walked into Panera Bread, bought and ate an asiago, roast beef sandwich and that was that :) Still to this very day I love my fair share of meatless dishes. Veggie burgers are always great and I’ve tried them so many ways, with lentils, mushrooms, tofu, tempeh, etc. My favorite type of meatless burger is a good, full flavored black bean burger. We have one here for you all today, studded with corn (because corn is awesome) and loaded with spices. These burgers are great, but still rather soft and delicate and should be handled gently while cooking them. These are great with just about any topping and condiment of your choice, plus they’re super easy to make and really fill you up. Enjoy!
More burger recipes you might like:
Hungry for more?
Spicy Black Bean Burgers
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 ear yellow corn, kernels and milk removed from husk
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup plain breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 whole wheat burger buns
- caramelized onions
- Place onion, jalapeno and garlic in a food processor and pulse 5 or 6 times.
- Add beans, oats, corn, green onion, cumin, curry powder, and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper and pulse 8 times. Scrape downs sides of the bowl and pulse an additional 5 to 8 times (depending on desired texture).
- Place mixture into a mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Remove chilled mixture from refrigerator and stir in breadcrumbs. Adjust seasonings.
- Pour oil into a heavy bottom skillet and place over medium. Form mixture into four equal patties. Cook patties for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until a crust develops and the patties are heated through.
- Remove patties from heat and place onto burger buns. Assemble burger with toppings and condiments of your choice and serve.