Hi! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Today we have a fun new recipe for you, our Falafel Burgers! If you want to even make these a little more healthy you can do them in a lettuce wrap, and they would be so good. We are also including a recipe for quick pickled red onions because they are so easy and yummy on this falafel burger. This is also perfect for meatless Mondays :) Enjoy guys!
Here are some other recipes you might like:
- Falafel Salad Hummus Bowls
- Falafel Pita Sandwiches
- Light and Fresh Buddha Bowls
- Spicy Roasted Cauliflower Hummus
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
quick roasted garlic aioli
- 1 head roasted garlic cloves, mashed to a paste
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
quick pickled red onions
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups dry chick peas
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ yellow onion, chopped
- ½ bunch curly parsley
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons oat flour or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 burger buns
- thinly sliced cucumbers
- roasted garlic aioli: Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Cover and set aside.
- falafel patties: Place the dry beans in a mixing bowl and fill with enough water to completely submerge the beans. Allow beans to soak overnight (at least 12 hours). Drain and set aside.
- Place garlic, onion, parsley, and cilantro into a food processor and pulse 4 to 5 times. Add chick peas followed by the remaining ingredients and process until finely ground and the mixture can hold together. Transfer to a mixing bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Once the mixture has chilled, divide it into 4 equal portions and create 4 patties. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Fill a saucepan with 2 inches of oil, once the oil is hot, carefully add 1 to 2 patties at a time and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Drain onto a paper towel, lightly season with salt and pepper and repeat until all patties have been fried.
- quick pickled red onion: Pour sugar and salt into the vinegar and whisk together until sugar and salt dissolves. Add remaining ingredients, stir, cover and set aside. Allow red onions to ‘pickle’ for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- To assemble: Cut each bun crosswise and toast. Spread the aioli onto each bun and top with a falafel patty. Top patty with sliced cucumbers and pickled red onions, and the aioli smeared bun tops and serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe? We want to see!
tag @SpoonForkBacon and #SpoonForkBacon on Instagram
I love it! I’m a huge fan of falafels and inside a burger I can predict that is probably insane :)
What do you mean by “dry chickpeas”? Do you mean dried chickpeas, or canned chickpeas that have been thoroughly drained?
Not canned, just dry chick peas you find in a bag….this is important bc even the canned chick peas have too much water in them that the falafel would fall apart (even thoroughly drained)
Thanks for the clarification – I was going to ask this myself. I had no idea you could make falafel (or anything!) without cooking the chickpeas first – just soaking! Awesome! This recipe goes in my collection to be made at the first opportunity! Thanks again from a newly minted fan and subscriber ;-)
I made this recipe tonight and it was perfect! I made balls instead of patties, and the mixture held together great…no breaking or falling apart during the molding or frying process. Really flavorful too! Definitely writing this down in my recipe collection book to make again in the future!
Ah, so glad you enjoyed it!! ☺️
This sounds just like my kind of burger. Yum!
Can’t wait to make it for all my French friends.
mary-clay | the open oven
yum! falafel is one of my favorite things eververever (I almost always order it if I’m eating mediterranean food), and these burgers look delish. thanks for sharing!
What is aioli? This recipe sound delicious and would be great for weight watchers
Hi! Aioli is an emulsified oil and garlic sauce (basically a thinned out garlic-lemon mayo)
Would these freeze well (cooked or uncooked)?
Yes, they freeze very well! Shape into patties and freeze uncooked!
Cheese and Chinese
Tha looks like one delicious veggie burger! Love that you guys paired it with aioli. We also love making red onions, they are so tasty – especially on burgers and sandwiches!