Today we have a recipe I am so excited about. Another one for game day, or just any day. Pretzel dogs. WITH, WITH! A mustard-cheese dipping sauce. Oh yea! The king of all hot dog situations. YES. This is a favorite for sure. The mustard cheese dipping sauce is perfection, and the pretzel dough is also just perfect, not too dense, with a nice crust. Yum. This is such a more fun / prettier / yummier take on traditional grilled or whatever hot dogs for game day. The pretzel portion of the recipe is actually from our new book The Perfect Egg. Eggs may not generally find their way into pretzels, but we added one into our recipe because we love how it lightens the overall texture. If you have yet to pre order, please do! We worked so dang hard on this book and we are so in love with it.
Here are some other recipes you will love:
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Pretzel Dogs with a Whole Grain Mustard Cheese Sauce
- 10 hot dogs
- 1 cup lukewarm water (110˚F)
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small chunks and softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ¼ to 4 ½ cups bread flour
- 6 cups water
- 5 ½ tablespoons baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 ½ tablespoons water, for egg wash
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stir together the water and sugar in a large bowl. Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the top and let stand for about 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Stir the egg, butter and salt into the proofed yeast. Then stir in the 4 ¼ cups of the 1 cup at a time, continuing to stir until the dough comes together in a rough mass.
- Lightly flour a work surface and turn the dough out onto it. Knead the dough, adding more flour as needed to prevent dough from sticking to the surface, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth, soft, and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball.and place into a lightly greased mixing bowl. Cover with a clean, damp towel and place in a warm area until dough doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Punch the dough to release the air and cut the dough into 10 equal pieces. Working with 1 piece at a time, roll the dough into a rope 12-16 inches long, then wrap the rope around a hot dog, leaving a 1/2 inch on each end exposed, and pinch the dough on each end to seal.
- Combine the water and baking soda in a deep stockpot and bring to a boil over high heat. One at a time, dip the pretzel-dogs into the boiling water for about 30 seconds, then carefully return them to the baking sheets.
- Generously brush the pretzels with the egg wash and sprinkle with the black sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and sea salt. Bake the pretzel-dogs for 16 to 18 minutes, until they are golden brown. Transfer the pretzels to a wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Cheese sauce: Melt butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add flour and whisk together for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and continue to whisk for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth. Add mustard and cheese and whisk together until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately with pretzel dogs.