Not going to lie that this recipe does take a bit of effort but so very worth it. Bite sized little bits of chicken of all piled high in a cheesy waffle cup. Paired with a little bit of honey and you have yourself a bite sized chicken and waffle situation. Our cheesy waffle cups make a really cute display for your bite sized chicken which makes this recipe really perfect for a little appetizer with friends. This is definitely a crowd pleasing and impressive recipe to bookmark! Enjoy and happy weekend!
Hungry for more?
Popcorn Chicken in Cheesy Waffle Cups
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 8 ounces each), cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Oil for frying
Cheesy waffle cups
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives, plus more for garnish (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- honey for drizzling
- Popcorn Chicken: Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Place flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper in a shallow baking dish and whisk together. Pour buttermilk into another shallow baking dish.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour, followed by buttermilk and then back into the flour (shaking chicken off after each addition) until all chicken has been coated.
- Fill a tall sided pot with 2 inches oil and place over medium heat. Once oil has reached 350˚F, fry chicken a few pieces at a time, until golden brown and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer onto a baking sheet lined with a cooling rack and lightly season with salt and pepper. Repeat until all chicken has been fried. Set aside.
- Waffle Cups: Pour all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk together until no flour lumps remain. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes. Heat waffle cone maker to desired settings. Pour 3 to 3 ½ tablespoons batter into the center of the waffle cone maker and gently press lid closed, completely. Cook waffle cones for 4 to 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Quickly and carefully transfer cooked waffle disc to a muffin tin and gently press center of disc into one of the muffin wells, to form a cup. Allow cup to sit until fully cooled and hardened. Repeat until all cups have been made.
- Assemble: Fill each cup up with a big scoop of popcorn chicken. Drizzle each cup with honey and a sprinkle of chives, if using. Serve immediately.