Today we have a Chewy Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies recipe! We haven’t posted a cookie recipe on here for a long time, and so we started developing a Chewy Lemon Poppy Seed Cookie recipe because it’s my favorite. It’s not too sweet, it’s really chewy, and this recipe makes a ton of perfectly sized little cookies which makes this a great recipe to bring into the office.
This isn’t a I’m emotionally destroyed I just broke up with my boyfriend and I’m eating cookies and ice cream on the couch watching Sex and The City kind of cookie, this is more like a I’m gonna drink some tea, and eat a cookie, cause I’m the boss of me kind of cookie. I would describe this cookie as an adult cookie. This is, simply put, a really GD good cookie. So go be boss and make yourself some cookies and eat them because you can.
Tips for making Chewy Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies:
- Poppy seeds are actually very easy to find! They are available in the spice aisle at more grocery stores.
- For the lemon zest in this recipe, we prefer to get an organic lemon. That way we know that there isn’t a funky coating on the outside of the lemon that may effect taste. It is always best practice to scrub your fruit under hot water when preparing it for zesting.
- If you don’t have a microplane (THIS is our favorite one), but you have a microplane, look for the smallest pattern and use that. If you don’t have a microplane, you can use a regular grater, and then chop into a more fine texture.
- We love this scoop for these cookies! They all come out the perfectly sized and it makes the process go so much easier. Don’t worry if you don’t have a scoop! You can use your tablespoon size measuring spoon.
These Chewy Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies are perfect for freezing ahead. Place the scoops of dough onto a baking sheet not touching. Place the baking sheet into the freezer and freeze completely through. Once they are frozen place them in an airtight bag int he freezer for up to three months. When you are ready to bake them follow the directions on the recipe!
If you are looking for delicious cookies recipes, here are some other options:
– Marshmallow Stuffed S’mores Cookies
– Soft and Fluffy Strawberry Cookies with Vanilla Frosting
– Kitchen Sink Cookies
Hungry for more?
Poppy Seed and Lemon Cookie recipe
- 2 cups bread flour (ap flour is fine)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup pure cane sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, cream together butter, sugars and honey.
- Add egg and vanilla and continue to beat together. Scrape down sides of the bowl and fold in lemon zest and poppy seeds until well combined.
- Stir flour mixture into the butter mixture and whip until fully incorporated.
- Form cookie dough into a flat disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and for up to 3 days.
- Uncover and scoop tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough. Place balls of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes or until the edges brown slightly, but the tops remain pale.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow them to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Allow cookies to cool for another 5-10 minutes. Serve.