Today we’re starting the week off with one of my favorite, simple cozy meals, Lasagna Roll Ups! I like to think of this as the lazy mans lasagna. Seriously. This recipe has a few different components to it, but is actually really easy to throw together, plus I’ve made ours ever so slightly healthier by mixing some cooked down kale into the ricotta filling (although you can easily sub spinach in, if you prefer) and I’m using lean ground turkey in our meat filling! I also use our favorite marinara sauce recipe in this dish, but feel free to use which ever marinara you prefer.
I’ve seen a lot of versions of this recipe where the lasagna roll ups are baked on their side and topped with a bunch of sauce and cheese and baked. I didn’t do any of that….instead I baked them spiral side-up and left them naked! I did this because I think the best part of a lasagna is the crispy edge and when you have the roll ups standing up and don’t sauce the crap out of them, you get crispy edges on almost every.single.one. YES! Plus you’ve already sauced the bottom of your baking dish and that’s plenty, you’ll see!
You can also finish each individual serving with a heap of freshly grated Parmesan. I also recommend cooking your lasagna sheets until they’re just barely after the al dente stage. This makes them pliable enough to roll up, but still stiff enough to have the perfect texture after baking.
If you’re a fan of lasagna roll ups, we have a low-carb zucchini version that’s super delicious too! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Lasagna Roll Ups
- 24 ounces part-skim ricotta
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ bunch kale, blanched, drained (with as much liquid squeezed out) and chopped
ground turkey filling
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons minced oregano
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced basil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 12 dry lasagna sheets (with fluted edges), boiled
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Place all the ricotta filling ingredients into a mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix together until fully combined. Set aside.
- Pour oil into a large skillet and place over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, turkey, oregano, and basil and continue to sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and continue to sauté for 1 minute. Stir in marinara sauce and mix until just combined. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool slightly.
- To assemble: Pour 1 ½ cups marinara into the bottom of an 8”x8” baking dish and set aside. Pace a cooked lasagna sheet onto a clean surface and top with a thin layer of the ricotta filling. Top the ricotta filling with a thin layer of the meat filling and tightly roll the lasagna sheet up completely. Carefully place it into the prepared baking dish, spiral side-up. Repeat until all of the sheets and filling have been used and snuggly fit into the baking dish.
- Place baking dish in the oven for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven, allow the dish to cool slightly and serve.