As someone who loves tater tots and will get them whenever they are on the menu (in LA this does not happen often enough) I don’t love the idea of using cauliflower to replace all the carbs I love. So I want you to think of this recipe not as a replacement for traditional tater tots, but as a new thing. It’s crispy like tater tots, but baked which is great. There is also some cheese in there which is pretty awesome as well. These would also go very well with some eggs in the morning for a delicious and fancy breakfast, and just in general for snacking (hello superbowl) and for sides. :)
Crispy Baked Cauliflower Tots
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 pound riced cauliflower
2/3 cup shredded white cheddar
2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives, optional
1 large egg yolk
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place a large skillet over medium heat and add 1/2 tablespoon oil.
2. Add garlic and shallot and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Transfer to a mixing bowl and place skillet back over stovetop.
4. Add remaining oil to skillet and top with riced cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Saute cauliflower until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow cauliflower to cool.
6. Transfer cooled cauliflower to a clean cheesecloth and squeeze out as much excess liquid possible.
7. Transfer cauliflower to bowl with garlic and shallot and stir together. Add remaining ingredients to mixing bowl and fold together until fully combined. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
9. Using your hands form tablespoon sized discs (or “coins”) of cauliflower mixture and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet, 1/2 – 1 inch apart.
10. Bake tots for 20 minutes then remove from oven and flip each one. Place tots back into the oven and continue to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until tots have browned and crisped.
11. Lightly top tots with a sprinkle of salt and serve immediately.