As someone who loves tater tots and will get them whenever they are on the menu (in LA this does not happen often enough) I don’t love the idea of using cauliflower to replace all the carbs I love. So I want you to think of this recipe not as a replacement for traditional tater tots, but as a new thing. It’s crispy like tater tots, but baked which is great. There is also some cheese in there which is pretty awesome as well. These Crispy Baked Cauliflower Tots would also go very well with some eggs in the morning for a delicious and fancy breakfast, and just in general for snacking (hello superbowl) and for sides. :) I personally love to serve our Crispy Baked Cauliflower Tots with ketchup and ranch.
If you’re having a cauliflower moment like the rest of the world – try our other cauliflower recipes! Like our Indian Butter Cauliflower, and our Honey Garlic Cauliflower over steamed rice. Also check out our Best Cauliflower Recipes post!
Tips for making Cauliflower Tots:
– You can find riced cauliflower at most grocery stores now, but we love Whole Foods Riced Cauliflower, and Trader Joes has some good options as well.
– Make sure you ring out the cooked riced cauliflower in the cheesecloth really well. Getting the excess moisture out is a key part to these baked tots keeping their shape.
– Make sure to bake them in the oven long enough to get a nice crust on the outside. That is what makes these Cauliflower Tots so delicious!
Can you Make Crispy Baked Cauliflower Tots ahead?
Yes. The best way is to form them and store them on a baking sheet in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake them.
You can also freeze the cauliflower coins in between layers of parchment and bake them when you are ready!
Check out our Best Cauliflower Recipes Post! Here are some highlights:
- Creamiest Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese
- Indian Butter Cauliflower
- Honey Garlic Cauliflower with rice
- Giant Baked Cauliflower Arancini
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Crispy Baked Cauliflower Tots
- 2 tbsp Olive oil extra virgin
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 pound cauliflower riced
- ⅔ cup white cheddar shredded
- ⅔ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp chives thinly sliced, optional
- 1 large egg yolk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add 1/2 tablespoon oil.
- Add garlic and shallot and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and place skillet back over stovetop.
- Add remaining oil to skillet and top with riced cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute cauliflower until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow cauliflower to cool.
- Transfer cooled cauliflower to a clean cheesecloth and squeeze out as much excess liquid possible.
- Transfer cauliflower to bowl with garlic and shallot and stir together. Add remaining ingredients to mixing bowl and fold together until fully combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Using your hands form tablespoon sized discs (or “coins”) of cauliflower mixture and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet, 1/2 – 1 inch apart.
- Bake tots for 20 minutes then remove from oven and flip each one. Place tots back into the oven and continue to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until tots have browned and crisped.
- Lightly top tots with a sprinkle of salt and serve immediately.