My Asian glow didn’t burst into action upon first sip so that right there was enough to positively keep my attention. I kicked this version up a bit to make it a little more suitable for the winter months by adding some spices to the simple syrup for a lovely spiced simple syrup. I know it’s 80 degrees out here in LA, but goddamn it I want somewhat of a winter experience this year…. even if I have to make spiced simple syrup to get a taste of it! This drink is really tasty and super easy to make. I hope you all relax this weekend for a little post holiday R&R and try our our version of a classic summer cocktail “winterfied”;)
Winter Spiced Old Fashioned
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 cardamom pods
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
12 ounces sweet bourbon (or whiskey)
1 orange, cut into 8 wedges
8 maraschino cherries
4 cinnamon sticks
1.Place first five ingredients into a saucepan and simmer over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil then cover and remove from heat. Allow the mixture to steep for 30 minutes. Strain the spices from the simple syrup.
3. Allow the mixture to cool completely before placing in the fridge for an hour to chill.
4. Divide an orange wedge and two cherries into each four glasses and muddle together.
5. Place the chilled syrup, bourbon and ice into a large shaker and shake until well combined.
6. Divide the mixture into each glass and top with an extra orange wedge, squeezing the wedge before dropping into the glass.
7. Garnish each glass with a cinnamon stick, if using and serve.