I will tell you, the orange in this recipe takes it to a whole new level. It’s unexpected, but refreshing. These Cranberry & Orange Scones should be your new Sunday morning scone recipe.
Here are some other scone recipes you might enjoy:
We have an entire section of yummy bread / carb recipes! Click below for our collection:
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Cranberry & Orange Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 ½ tablespoon orange zest
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut the cold cubes of butter into the flour mixture until the butter is completely incorporated and the mixture has obtained a fine, mealy texture.
- Add the cranberries and orange zest and gently mix together.
- Fold in the buttermilk and orange juice and mix together until just combines and the mixture has formed into dough.
- Form the dough into an 8 inch disc, about 1 inch thick.
- Cut the disc into 8 wedges and place the scones onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of each scone with a small amount of cream and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the scones puff up and the tops just start to brown.
- Serve warm with a side of jam, honey, and butter.