Happy Sunday! I am happy to share with you this scone recipe I have been eating for many mornings. It’s so nice to be able to make a batch of scones or muffins and be able to grab one while running out the door in the morning. These apple and cheddar scones are a new favorite. They have yummy chunks of sweet apple paired with the sharpness of cheese making these scones great for those indecisive about having a savory or sweet breakfast. I also love the sliced apple and thyme on top, it makes these scones look a lot more impressive than they actually are (in effort!). Enjoy guys!
Also, if you have not yet bought our book you really should.
AMAZON | BARNES & NOBLE | INDIE BOUND | GOOGLE BOOKS | iBOOKS
We are so proud of it! You can also pre order signed copies from Omnivore Books! ☺
Hungry for more?
Apple & Cheddar Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 apple, peeled cored and diced
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 6 thinly sliced apple wheels
- warmed honey
- fresh minced thyme
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut cold cubes of butter into the flour mixture until the butter is completely incorporated and the mixture has obtained a mealy texture.
- Add the cheese, apple and black pepper and mix together until well combined.
- Fold in the buttermilk and mix together until just combined and the mixture has formed into dough.
- Form the dough into a 1 ½ inch thick rectangle and cut into 6 squares.
- Top each scone with an apple wheel and gently press into scone. Place scones onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the scones puff up and the tops just start to brown.
- Remove from oven and gently brush apple wheels with warm honey and sprinkle with thyme. Allow scones to cool, about 10 minutes. Serve.