My love for the carne asada burrito bowl starts years ago, in college, with Chipotle. For some reason the only protein I would get was their carne asada (or as they call it, their “steak” option). So when I started making burrito bowls, I started with carne asada and it’s still my favorite type of taco and burrito (or burrito bowl) protein and the type I make the most.
I really love how simple and satisfying this dish is and how it’s also really portable. If i’m taking this meal with me on the go I make sure to keep the cold toppings in a separate tupperware from the rice and carne. That way I can heat the rice and beef up and add the rest of the toppings on afterwards and everything is fresh and tastes as it should.
This carne asada burrito bowl is also a great make ahead recipe and great for meal planning. The carne is also really versatile and can be used in a number of different recipes. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
If you have any leftover Carne Asada, or you want to double the carne asada recipe so you can have leftovers, then here are some other recipes that makes doubling the recipe very much worth it:
Hungry for more?
Carne Asada Burrito Bowl
- 1 recipe carne asada
green onion brown rice
- 2 ½ cups warm chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 16 halved cherry tomatoes (tossed in fresh minced oregano, optional)
- 4 thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija
- 1 thinly sliced avocado
- 1/8 thinly sliced red onion
- 1 1/2 cups shredded romaine hearts
- 1/2 cup crema optional
- 1/4 cup hot sauce optional
- 4 lime wedges optional
- For carne asada: Make according to recipe linked above.
- For rice: Place stock, garlic and salt into a blender and blend for 2 minutes.
- Pour oil into a medium pot and place over medium-high heat. Add rice and toast for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour garlic infused stock into the pot with rice and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and bring stock to a hard simmer. Partially cover and continue to simmer until the stock has been absorbed and the rice has cooked through.
- Add green onion to the rice, season with salt and pepper and fluff together with a fork. Set aside.
- To assemble: Scoop some of green onion rice into each bowl, top each bowl with about 6 ounces of carne asada and add remaining ingredients. Sprinkle each bowl a few dashes of hot sauce, a drizzle of crema and a squeeze of lime, if using, and serve.