This is one of my favorite hearty salads ever, so we had to repost it today. I love how loaded it is, with all the different flavors and textures. The dressing is one f the best parts of this salad. It’s rich and creamy, but also nice and bright because of the cilantro and lime. This is also one of my favorite make ahead, take on the go salads. It’s completely satisfying and will definitely keep you going strong all day. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
I know we like to lament about eating salads over here, but today we have a salad that I totally dig and love to eat all the time; our Southwest Style Cobb Salad. Cobb salads do a pretty job keeping themselves interesting with the variety of ingredients that go into them. Our southwest version is loaded with a simple chipotle-honey chicken, fresh sweet corn kernels, creamy cubes of avocado, sweet and juicy cherry tomatoes, crunchy and salty Fritos, and much more! This salad is super filling and the tangy cilantro-ranch dressing really tops things off! If you want to lighten things up though ever so slightly, you can swap the sour cream out for some Greek yogurt, in the dressing.
This salad is perfect for spring and summer picnics, barbecues and potlucks. It’s a total crowd pleaser and should definitely be considered as a dish for your upcoming Mother’s Day menu. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Southwest Style Cobb Salad with Cilantro-Ranch Dressing
- ⅔ cup light mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons chives, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 hearts of romaine, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 ½ tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons minced chipotles in adobe sauce
- 2 baked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed into ½ inch pieces
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ¼ heaping cups raw, sweet corn kernels (from 3 ears of corn)
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 to 3 hard boiled eggs, thinly sliced
- 4 rashers cooked bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 ¼ heaping cups Fritos
- 1 heaping cup queso fresco
- ¾ cup black beans
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- cracked black pepper to taste
- For dressing: Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Pour into an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to two weeks.
- For salad: Place romaine into a large mixing bowl and toss together with ⅔ cup of dressing. Set aside.
- Place honey and chipotle in adobe into another mixing bowl and whisk together. Add chicken and toss together until chicken is completely coated. Pour chicken into the center of the dressed romaine.
- Continue to add piles of the remaining ingredients over the romaine until all the ingredients, except the green onions, have been used. Sprinkle the salad with green onions and lightly season with cracked black pepper. Serve with additional dressing on the side.