Today we have a really great recipe for you all that also works really well as a weekly meal plan dish, our Honey-Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls! The real “recipe” here is actually for the cilantro-lime quinoa, since everything else is more of a throw together sort of thing, including the honey-chipotle shredded chicken! The cilantro-lime quinoa is one of my favorite things ever and goes well with SO many different things. It’s so tasty and full of bold flavors, plus it makes the perfect, healthy base to our burrito bowls.
We’re a total sucker for the burrito bowls from the Chipotle chain, but sometimes it’s nice to be able to create a bowl from scratch especially when there’s enough ingredients to create a few extra bowls to mix and match for the next few days of work. I’ve talked about dull ‘weekly meal plan’ meals recently and what a bummer they can be day after day, but the versatility of toppings and flavors for these bowls keep things really interesting. Aside from the cilantro-lime quinoa and the honey-chipotle shredded chicken, which is also so incredibly tasty and simple, you can really add whatever toppings you want to enjoy your own customized burrito bowls. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Honey-Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 2 ¼ cups warm chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¾ bunch cilantro, divided and chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- zest and juice of 1 large lime
- 3 tablespoons minced chipotle in adobe
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 heaping cups cooked and shredded chicken breasts, warm
- salt and pepper to taste
- black beans
- lightly charred sweet corn
- pico de gallo
- sour cream or crèma
- crumbled queso fresco
- fried corn tortilla strips/bits, optional
- hot sauce, optional
- lime wedges, optional
- For rice: Place stock, garlic, ½ bunch of cilantro, and salt into a blender and blend for 2 minutes.
- Pour oil into a medium pot and place over medium-high heat. Add quinoa and toast for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour cilantro-garlic infused stock into the pot with quinoa and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and bring stock to a hard simmer. Partially cover and continue to simmer until quinoa until the stock has been absorbed and the quinoa has cooked through.
- Add the lime zest and juice to the quinoa, season with salt and pepper and fluff together with a fork. Set aside.
- For chicken: Combine the chipotle with adobe and honey into a small mixing bowl and whisk together. Pour mixture over the shredded chicken and toss together until completely combined. Set aside.
- To assemble: Scoop some of the cilantro-lime quinoa into each bowl and top with desired remaining ingredients. Sprinkle each bowl with remaining cilantro and serve.