It’s Friday…yay! So I know I said that we would be jumping into our Super Bowl fry fest next week, but we got a little excited and couldn’t resist starting a little early….enter baby chimichangas. These little beauties are pretty great; small pockets of fried goodness with a creamy Sriracha-lime dipping sauce. Why are these chimichangas so special? Two reasons: 1) You can actually taste the filling! It’s not just a piece of fried flour tortilla which I’ve often feel I’ve been served when ordering chimichangas. 2) They’re little and cute; and the rule is that the smaller the food is, the more you can eat. Well, that’s my rule as least :)
These little guys are filled with large chunks of chicken, diced poblanos, fresh corn, sharp cheddar…yea, they’re awesome me thinks. You can make this quick and easy recipe even faster by buying a roasted chicken and shredding it up. Just a thought :) So as everyone gets their menus together for “Binge Eating Day” (lets be serious, most of us care about the food way more then the “big game”) I urge you all to stick these on your menu this year. You won’t regret it…..I promise!
Here are some other recipes you might enjoy:
Hungry for more?
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- ½ poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 corn on the cob, kernels removed from cob
- 2 medium, cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- ¼ cup prepared salsa (of your choice)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 (5 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
sriracha dipping sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oil to 375°F.
- Pour olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic, onion and poblano for 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add corn kernels and continue to sauté for 3 minutes.
- Pour mixture over chicken and toss together. Add the prepared salsa and cheese and fold together until fully incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a small amount of the filling into the center of each tortilla and fold up like a burrito and place onto a baking sheet, seam side down.
- Holding the chimichangas together with tongs, carefully place and hold in the oil, for 2 minutes. Gently release the chimichanga from the tongs and continue to fry for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- For sauce: Place the ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together until fully incorporated. Serve with hot chimichangas.