Hey Guys! Today we have another great picnic sandwich for you, Bocadillo Bites! Bocadillo are Spanish style sandwiches served on a crusty baguette. They’re usually pretty basic sandwiches that can be filled with anything from omelets to cold cuts to sweets.
I had this particular type of Bocadillo in Spain years ago although I think the peppers were different. I remember looking at the sandwich with lack luster thoughts, wishing I had some mustard and mayonnaise to slather between layers of what seemed to be a dry and sad looking sandwich. I was so wrong and pleasantly surprised! The uber simple sandwich was delicious, full of flavor and perfectly filling. For something so simple it was perfectly balanced.
I was pleasantly surprised to see it on the menu of one of my favorite, local (Southbay) restaurants, Abigaile. If you like Manhattan Beach Post I highly recommend Abigaile. The food is wonderful; from their hamachi sashimi to their roasted bone marrow, and even bocadillo bites. :) I also love that they brew their own craft beer and serve super delicious scratch cocktails. When I ordered the bocadillo bites it took me right back to a hot August afternoon in Barcelona, at the beach with my family playing games and munching on this tasty treat.
Our version is super simple and doesn’t really require a proper recipe, but we’ve given you one anyway just as a reference. This sandwich packs up and holds extremely well, making it perfect for picnics or on the go lunches. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
More sandwiches you might like:
Hungry for more?
- 1 Spanish style baguette, sliced in half sourdough baguette is fine
- 3 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 to 14 ounces smoked ham, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 ounces Manchego cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 to 8 pickled cherry peppers, seeded and sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brush cut sides of baguette with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Top bottom half of baguette with ham followed by cheese and finish with the sliced pickled peppers.
- Gently press top half of baguette over bocadillo and cut into 1 ½”-2” pieces. Serve or wrap in parchment until ready to eat.