It’s finally begun to feel like autumn here in Los Angeles and thank goodness! I’ve totally been craving some chilly weather and now that we have it, it’s glorious! I’ve been much more welcoming of “chilly weather comfort foods” with the recent weather change and these Monte Cristo sandwiches are at the top of the list! They’re so easy to throw together and require minimal ingredients so they’re great for weekend brunch as well as weekday dinners, especially when served with a simple mixed green salad.
We’ve paired our autumn comfort dish with an iced cold bottle of Negra Modelo! Just by the look of it, some may think Negra Modelo is a dark, rich and bitter tasting beer but in fact it’s quite nice and sweet, and has the perfect amount of depth with a slightly hoppy finish. The sweet, crisp flavor of the beer is the perfect complement to a bright, rich and salty Monte Cristo! Seriously, they’re so good together!
We’re also serving up our sandwiches with a side of sweet and tangy cranberry jam, because ‘tis the season, right?! If you’re looking for a totally satisfying meal that isn’t difficult or fussy, we recommend this hearty sandwich; and try pairing it with an iced cold Negra Modelo that’s pleasantly light on the palate with great flavor, we guarantee it’ll be a hit in every household!
Hungry for more?
Monte Cristo Sandwich with Cranberry Jam
- 6 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 slices hearty white bread or sourdough
- 2 ounces sliced deli ham
- 2 ounces sliced deli turkey
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup whole milk or half&half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Cranberry jam: Place all ingredients into a small saucepan and stir together. Place over medium-low heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring frequently, or until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- For the sandwich: Place bread slices onto a clean surface and top with deli ham. Top ham with a slice of cheese, followed by the turkey and remaining slice of cheese. Finish with the remaining slice of bread and gently press together. In a shallow baking dish whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Place butter in a skillet and melt over medium to medium-high heat. Dip sandwich into the egg batter, both sides, and quickly but carefully transfer to the hot skillet.
- Cook sandwich for 4 to 5 minutes or until toasted and golden brown, flip and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Carefully pick the sandwich up and quickly sear all the edges (crust) of the sandwich. Transfer to a cutting board and allow sandwich to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Cut sandwich in half and serve with a side of cranberry jam and Negra Modelo.
- Makes 1 sandwich + 1 1/2 cups jam