I’m pretty stoked that cherry season is here. There’s really nothing like super fresh and juicy cherries. Today we have a pretty simple recipe for baked cherry donuts. The little bits of fresh cherries throughout the donuts are so tasty and totally addicting. We’ve doubled it up with the sweet cherry goodness by making a real cherry glaze to coat the donuts with. We actually have two glazes we’re working with, mostly because I think the two glaze topping looks cute, but if you want to cut on time, you can omit the vanilla glaze and the donuts will still taste great! Same goes for the white chocolate crispy balls..they’re delicious and fun, but not totally necessary here! We hope you guys love these yummy little guys! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Here are some more cherry recipes you might like:
Tools we like for this recipe:
Want to get the perfect scoop every time? We love using this 3 tablespoon scoop for our cookies. It helps keep the size consistent every time!
Hungry for more?
Baked Cherry Donuts
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 16 sweet cherries, pitted and quartered
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 pitted sweet cherries
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons whole milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- white chocolate crispy balls
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Place all dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk together. Stir in egg, followed by milk and yogurt until mixture is smooth. Fold in butter, vanilla extract and cherries until completely incorporated.
- Lightly grease two doughnut pans. Scoop mixture into a piping bag or re-sealable plastic bag and pipe batter into the pans, until about ¾ full.
- Place pans in the oven and bake for 12 to 16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a few donuts.
- Remove from the oven and allow donuts to cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Transfer donuts onto a cooling rack ad allow them to cool completely.
- For cherry glaze: Place cherries and milk in a blender or food processor and blend until mixture is smooth. Pour mixture into a mixing bowl and stir in sugar, ½ cup at a time until mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- For vanilla glaze: Pour milk and extract into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Stir in sugar, ¼ cup at a time, until mixture is thick and smooth (icing should sit on itself for a couple seconds when poured over itself). Pour mixture into a piping bag and set aside.
- To assemble: Dip each donut into the cherry glaze, shaking off any excess. Allow glaze to set, about 30 minutes. Pipe a couple circles of vanilla glaze over the cherry glaze, on each donut and top with white chocolate crispy balls, if using. Allow icing to set, about 30 minutes. Serve.